Plumbing and controlls for a storage Tank useing a Plate Heat Exchanger

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

machinistbcb

Nov 21, 2007
Sabattus Maine
I am in the process of planing an install for the older Tarm gasifier that I bought along with 750 gallons of unpressurized storage. I think I what to try using a plate heat exchanger instead of a coil set-up. I am having a hard time figureing out just how to plumb the tank and what controlls to use, and I have not really been able to find any piping diagrams anywhere with this set-up. I have an oil boiler for back up that will need to be piped in, and I have zone valves. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian

Let me offer what I did. My Tarm boiler feeds one side of the hx with its own circ. The other side of the hx, fed by its own circ, and plumbed counter-flow, loads my storage tank.

I have an aquastat on the return line of the Tarm, after the Termovar, so it is monitoring actual return water to the Tarm. This aquastat is set to "on" at 150. When return water hits 150, it turns on both circs, so hot water being delivered by the boiler is transferred by the hx to the water feeding the storage tank.

This is greatly simplified, but let me know if any of this helpful, ask more questions.

How do you draw and distribute the hot water from the tank ? Do you have a way to priortize the flow if a zone is calling for heat and the tank is not up to temp ? Any pitcures or pipe diagrams ?

Status
Not open for further replies.