Plumbing for plate exchanger

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lineman

Mar 29, 2014
Marcellus mi
New to forum 1st post recently purchase heatmaster mf5000 thinking of doing in trench closed foam for pex lines how much foam is needed for aprox. 120' I realize lot of variables. Should I hire foam guy or do my self with kit from eBay 200 400 600 board kit .also adding plate exchanger at w/heater do I need mixing value or is water temp going in w/h same as boiler water what's best way to go .

What does the heatmaster dealer tell you?

Your info is very sketchy. Based on experience, important considerations are: amount of heat (btu's) you need or want to be able to move between the boiler and the place you are heating; desired supply temp and return temp; round trip feet of pipe run; pipe diameter; gpm's needed to flow; pump head at required flow rate; plate hx pressure drop (pump head) Sides A and B at required flow rates and approach temperature; sizing of plate hx (l x w x #plates x port size); sizing of circulators on both sides of the plate hx to move required flow rate at pump head sides A and B.

This is not overly complicated for an experienced person, but I have heard too many stories which show in practice that the sales person does not know what he/she is doing. Your boiler is spec'd at 250,000 btuh, that's a lot of heat and requires a lot of flow and/or large temperature drop to get into a reasonable range of pump head; and a lot of that has to do with pressure drop in the thermopex and in the plate hx. Generally at delta-T=20F, flow rates should not exceed about 16 gpm for 1.25" ID pipe, 8 gpm for 1" ID, and 4 gpm for 0.75" ID. This equates to about 160,000 btuh for 1.25" ID pipe, 80,000 btuh for 8 gpm for 1" ID, and 40,000 btuh for 0.75" ID. Pay attention to inside diameter (ID), not outside diameter.

Only tip I can give with the pex lines. I ran 1" and wish I had used 1 1/4. I think my owb was producing more btu's than i could transfer to my house. If I did it again I'd rather move more than I need then wish I had more.

Status
Not open for further replies.