Plumbing in a HX

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bpirger

Minister of Fire
May 23, 2010
Ithaca NY Area
Any tips for plumbing in my HX? I assume I need to mount the HX and then essentially plumb from it back to the rest of the system. I'm planning to run copper to the HX. On both sides I will isolate with ball valves (two), have a strainer on the input, and have hose bibs off tees so I can easily flush each side in place. Actually, I have seen reference to those all in one valves...I'll have to hunt those down. (EDIT: Webstone makes these.....)

I'm leary of unions...yet I'd like a way to be able to remove the HX completely if necessary. If I leave enough straight copper, it should be easy to enough to cut it out and put in a new one.

I'm planning a 60 or 80 plate 5x12 GBE from FlatPlate (GEA). Any reason to go with a different HX?

GARN 1500, being plumbed as a secondary source into my primary loop.

Thanks!

Webstone makes that valve with gasketed unions also. Nice to have all the functions in one valve.

hr

Attachments

• Picture 6.png
    Picture 6.png
    21.7 KB · Views: 230
I used pex with sharkbites for the connection to my HX, that way I can disconnect each pex pipe at the sharkbite, and flush the HX using more 1" pex

The only tip I can give I got from this forum. You want to plumb your water to air HX in a counter flow configuration. Meaning you want the source from the boiler closest to the plenum, not the fan. This way the hottest water / coil is when the air exits the HX. Do a search in the boiler room for 'counter flow' and you should get a lot of info. Someone posted increased air temp on exit of the air handler I believe. Good luck!!

Status
Not open for further replies.