Plumbing multiply storage tanks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NCFord

Jun 5, 2011
central NC
Does anyone have any diagrams for plumbing multiple tanks? It looks like am going to be able to get
2 250 gallon tanks so I need to plumb them. I wish I had a diagram or pic of what I have but don't. I know there a few ways to do this so any diagrams would help. Thinks of my exiting system as one loop. I just have the boiler loop then one loop to supply. I don't have any zones of any kind, just one big loop that hits my DWH first then my water-air H.E. then returns to boiler. About as simple as it gets.

Does anyone have any diagrams for plumbing multiple tanks? It looks like am going to be able to get
2 250 gallon tanks so I need to plumb them. I wish I had a diagram or pic of what I have but don't. I know there a few ways to do this so any diagrams would help. Thinks of my exiting system as one loop. I just have the boiler loop then one loop to supply. I don't have any zones of any kind, just one big loop that hits my DWH first then my water-air H.E. then returns to boiler. About as simple as it gets.

Vertical side-by-side, horizontal side-by-side, horizontal stacked, or something else?

vertical side-by-side

Is this a loop that used to be from an OWB?

Just one circ pump in the loop? Plans to add any others?

Ok NC, this is racking my brain some, so I made you a diagram to start with. Here is what I gather your system is from what you have told us so far.

I know there has to be a pump in there somewhere, but I just dont know where or how you have it configured.

Do you have just the wood boiler? Or is there a backup boiler too? More info would be helpful to assist you in hooking up your tanks.

You need to decide if you want to plumb them parallel or in series. If parallel be sure to use the same amount and configuration of pipe for each one and also keep the pipes level so you have a balanced flow and the tanks charge evenly.

Ok, Sorry I have not posted since 2 days ago, I don't always have access to the web. So yes I just have one circ. pump that is located near the boiler.
I just have the one boiler, my backup is a heat pump.

Clarkbug , thanks for the diagram it is exactly correct, the primary pump is located about a foot from the boiler loop on the supply side, it comes on at 150 degrees and at that time the near boiler pump shuts off.

I don't want any kind of loading valve. In fact for simplicity I am just going to let the water circulate through the boiler and not separated the boiler from the storage tanks. I may tackle that later. I am just trying to make sure the tanks are plumbed so that they charge properly. Thanks.

Ok, so you have two pumps? Does your system look sorta like this?

exactly! what program are you using for the drawing?

My thinking was to place the storage tanks between the primary pump and the DHW.

I was just looking at the sticky from up above and I like that concept, however it would involve relocating some pumps and
re wiring some stuff which I don't think I want to do during the heating season... I just don't have enough
time at one time to get it done. I can hook up the tanks and use them right now and not make any major modifications.
I guess I can plan on changing things next summer or spring.

Attachments

• primary-storage-loop.gif
    primary-storage-loop.gif
    19.6 KB · Views: 769
Im using Microsoft Viso for making the drawings, quick and easy.

Ok, here is my take on things for your tanks, if you arent going to change anything other than piping.

This way you get the maximum amount of heat to your load right away, and then it dumps to storage for whatever isnt used by your DHW or heating coil. Lots of chilly water coming back to the boiler when you first fire it up.

Tanks are piped in reverse-return fashion. The pressure losses should be the same through either tank, so flow will self-balance. Pipes need to be the same size/length, nipples the same, etc. Alternative is to do what was mentioned in a previous post, and to put a T right in the middle of both tanks for upper and lower connections.

Using the tanks as shown by NoFossil is certainly a better way, but as you said, more complicated than what I have above. The diagram above is just adding volume to your pipeline, essentially.

Last edited:
sorry, I don't see the diagram. And for now I just want to add volume like you said.
thanks.

Ok, give that a shot... had to fix a link.

Does the Econoburn have return temp protection?

I had guessed from previous posts that there was a pump controlled by an aquastat that was serving as return protection.

I did install a caleffi boiler protection valve but I have the cartrage out of it right now because I placed the near boiler pump in the
wrong position for it to work properly. I put the valve in planning for storage. The aquastat works for now, the boiler protection
valve will work better with storage.

clarkbug, any reason you located the tanks on the return side? It does not matter for location or anything for my space, but I was just wondering.

nevermind, I see that with the tanks on the return side you get heat right away and don't have to wait
for the tanks to charge.... Nice.

I did install a caleffi boiler protection valve but I have the cartrage out of it right now because I placed the near boiler pump in the
wrong position for it to work properly. I put the valve in planning for storage. The aquastat works for now, the boiler protection
valve will work better with storage.

Do you plan to move the near-boiler pump to the 'right' position, so the caleffi will work properly?

I guess my point is, by adding storage you are changing the amount of cold water that your boiler return sees in a big way. If your near-boiler piping is not set up properly for it (i.e. proper return protection), you boiler will suffer. So just adding tanks & not changing any of your control/piping/pumping to accomodate them might lead to unanticipated problems of a potentially large kind.

absolutely. I have to move the near boiler pump from it current location to between the BPV and boiler on the return side
or on the supply side before the near boiler loop tee.
I beleive this will work. I also think that I can operate the whole system on one pump. Does this seem logical?

I'd need to see a plumbing diagram to get what you're talking about, but I can't think of how you can do storage & loads with one pump.

If your house is not calling for heat, and your boiler is burning, where does the heat go & how does it get there?

EDIT: I would also put the near boiler pump between the BPV, and the boiler return inlet, so it can pull water through both sides of the BPV.

I don't have any zone valves of any kind, in fact my house thermostat is not tied to anything with
the boiler. The boiler just circulates hot water anytime the boiler is hot. When there is a call for
heat just the fan kicks on an distrubutes warm air to the house. Real simple.
As for using one pump, if I change the wiring and settings a little and move the near boiler pump
to the location after the BPV on the return side,could that not work?
That pump would basically be on all the time. I not sure either if this is possible or a good idea.

OK - I missed the part about the W-E exchanger.

I'd assume you'd want to be able to draw some heat from storage, after the boiler fire goes out?

Yes that is what I am trying to figure out. With what we have been talking about all I am trying to do right now
is add volume. When the fire goes out the the pump will stay on and circulate through the boiler and storage till a set low point or just on all the time. I know this is not the most efficient but it keeps it simple for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.