PM OF REPLACEMENT PARTS FOR STOVE.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisf

Jun 25, 2009
upstate NY 12025
I have a quda mt. vernon that I purchased brand new oct of 05. My question is do some of you replace parts before they go bad? I have been thinking of replacing my exhaust blower auger motor igntor and snap discs. I know it would be around 500.00 to do it. I have never had any issues with the stove but it runs all winter long it goes thiugh approx 5 tons a year it is my main heat source. so it gets a great deal of abuse. I just am not sure of the life span of these parts. All parts are origanal.

bkfc255 said:
I have a quda mt. vernon that I purchased brand new oct of 05. My question is do some of you replace parts before they go bad? I have been thinking of replacing my exhaust blower auger motor igntor and snap discs. I know it would be around 500.00 to do it. I have never had any issues with the stove but it runs all winter long it goes thiugh approx 5 tons a year it is my main heat source. so it gets a great deal of abuse. I just am not sure of the life span of these parts. All parts are origanal.

I think that's a bit of overkill. IMO, I'd have a spare ignitor, and/or spare auger motor (and those 2 things are what I had in the cellar for my 4 yr. old Astoria before I sold it). If you run the stove on a stat, then I think the ignitor is #1 thing to have a spare of.

After that, it's a toss-up between the auger motor and the blower motor, but I don't think you need spares of them all sitting around.

just my 2 cents.

If it's not broke, don't fix it... I have a Whitfield Advantage II-T I run about 3 tons per season this stove is 13 years old, it's all original . I service the stove 2 times a year. Runs like a champ.. But it's a WHITFIELD ( The number one selling pellet stove of all time).

What I did was check my local dealer. Had him see what parts he had in stock. Ignitor, Auger motor, Both blower motors and the snap disc's. I also had him see what the control panel availability was.

All my parts are local stock. So I haven't purchased anything yet.(But I may if there becomes a long lead time!)

If there are items that are in stock check the lead time. A good dealer will have them in a couple of days for you. No sense spending money you really don't have to. If the ignitor goes, Most stoves can be lit manually and kept burning until the part is replaced. And the blowers should give you some warning(become noisy) before they actually quit.

If I don't have the money to spare, I won't spend it on something that just might sit there and collect dust.

Check with the dealer locally, If the parts are weeks out. Then I would purchase the high wear items. Ignitor and snap discs anyway.

jay

Well I am atleast going to get an ignitor and snap discs for it. My exhaust blower sounds a little funny it still works just sounds a little louder than normal but it only seems like it at start up. I will at least see what is in stock But I figure it is the old model stove so I dont know what he has in stock I guess its time to make a call.

jtakeman said:
.....If there are items that are in stock check the lead time. A good dealer will have them in a couple of days for you. No sense spending money you really don't have to. If the ignitor goes, Most stoves can be lit manually and kept burning until the part is replaced. And the blowers should give you some warning(become noisy) before they actually quit.......

Good advice :)

Can you educate a newbie, what are snap discs? Thanks

They are heat sensors on your stove. They tell the control when it has heat, when to turn the fan on and when its too hot.

Also called thermal discs.

hope it helps
jay

jtakeman said:
They are heat sensors on your stove. They tell the control when it has heat, when to turn the fan on and when its too hot.

Also called thermal discs.

hope it helps
jay

Thanks Jay,appreciate a little education

Status
Not open for further replies.