PNW-more cold winters like this, then I will just have to buy that Pacific D1 insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRanger

Nov 19, 2007
British Columbia
Don`t know how BeGreen is faring a little bit further south of us, but it has been damn cold here on the Island since November.

Cleaned the chimney today, and well, maybe it`s time for something that can churn out a whole lot more heat. Still not getting the heat that we would like. Need a whole lot more if this is the way winters are going to be in this area.

Sorry Corrie, not going to buy anything but a PE, only live 20 klicks away. Need something like that Pacific, yep, no overnite burn with the softwood we have here but decent enough!

As a side note, talked to the guys at the dealership today and mentioned that Tom Oyen`s site offered a mantel sheild for $55, and they were quite taken aback.. They said that they could always do that stuff--but ya gotta love this. they said, it usually costs about a hundred bucks for a custom job!

Screw that, maybe I will have to buy my new insert from them-but will for sure order my mantel sheild from Tom. I don`t know about you guys? But damn, that guy never,never, refuses to respond to an email. He is it seems to me, always to be working 24/7, ya gotta respect a guyl like that!! Gotta save for the new beast though, so hopefully, the 2009-2010 season. ;-)

Yes, this has been a relatively cold winter for us, but then I hear about those -10 and lower temps and I don't feel so cold anymore. Still we are going through the woodpile at a fast pace. It doesn't look like there will be much left over after this winter.

So, what do you call "cold" in your neck of the woods?

We used to sell mantel shields for $35 - made by heat safe. We also had a sheet metal brake on the truck and used to make custom ones and paint them (on the job) for $25 to $40. After all, we were already making money on the insert and installation, so we never looked at them as a profit center.

I live quite near Sonny, and cold here is a bit embarrassing compared to what some forum members deal with, but it sounds OK if we use Celsius.

For the last few days we've had lows of -5 or -6 C, (20f?) and highs around 2 or 3 C (36f). I guess living here close to the water has really spoiled me with temps, but I take frequent trips to the back-country to get my snow fix.

Well,well, what do we call cold here? Hovering at or below freezing for months and months, in this case since mid oct.

Usually out here on the Wet Coast it is usually drizzling,and cloudy, and just plain gray. And the temps are usually between +2 and +9c.. I`m estimating for you Yanks, but I think that would be 36f to 48f.. But don`t forget, we have to live with the dampness.

I think if you have read BeGreens follow up to my original post,that it isn`t that much different in Washington State/

For your info, Craig--the dampness of the PNW makes it feel much colder than it really is. For example,I have relatives that have moved to the interior of this province,even though it is colder there, it is a drier cold. And for their problems, ari,rheu,etc. they find it much more comfortable. I personaly don`t get it. Much colder but drier, Seems to work for them..

I would rather just have more and more wood heat :)

So, in a nutshell, when it get`s to or below freezing around here, it feels damn cold.!! But if you haven`t lived in this kind of enviroment, I guess it probably sounds like we west coasters are just a bunch of wossies,, but we are not, that damp cold is not like you people experience in the east. Maybe some people that have lived in both locations can chime in....

I live on the northwest side of Mt. Rainier and my PSE bill came yesterday. It said that the months average temp was 32F and that last year's January was 33F. The good news is that my electric consumption is down 5KwH per day! I like the bitter cold and clear sky combination but not the wind, rain, and darkness combination so much. I planted 5 fruit trees on Sunday and had to break through 4" of frozen ground. That's about as thick as our fronst layer gets.

I've had great luck with Oyen. Very responsive and good advice. The site's articles are a valuable reference as well.

I haven't had to light a match in about a month. My little heritage burning the cottonwood holds enough coals overnight to easily start the next day's fire. Sure, heat output is low in the morning with a cool stove but the fire is technically going still. My poorly insulated house has cooled from 75 to 60 overnight.

Sonny, maybe it's age as as much dampness. It may be below 40 outside, 90% humidity, but inside I suspect the rel humidity is under 40%. Our house is currently 37%. But regardless, these old bones are getting to like the cold less and less. There's that and many homes out here have a lot less insulation than back east.

Status
Not open for further replies.