Poilan wild thing.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

clemsonfor

Minister of Fire
Dec 15, 2011
Greenwood county, SC
What is a used one worth really. Not trashed but not new? I got a CL lead on 3 saws I think 2 are. Wild things. Saw they don't run but could?? With tune up?

They said $50 for all. I was thinking if I can get um running cheap I could get $30-50 a piece? If I wait it out. And may try a port job one one as I won't have anything to mess up really.

Looking on eBay there is a ton of parted out ones. I could get the money back but parts uses are dirt cheap and I would have to earn every dollar with the auctions!!

Worth going to look and pulling mufflers for $50?

I see them on local CL not running for about $40. I don't know if they sell.

These are 3 unknown condition I'm pretty sure the 2 are wild things but not sure on the third, but for $50 I'm not sure I'd loose to bad?

What's to gain tho? A few beans? Not worth messing with 3 of the little toy saws IMO. In order to restore them to RELIABLE working condition (something I'm willing to stake my name on) it's not worth bothering with. Now, for a cheap porting project...... ;lol

Yea I was thinking g I'd it is more than a plug and or Carb kit I won't make much to make it worth it. But I am thinking o. Something to port and play with that is not much if I screw it up and not feel bad that I could tear up a few hundred dollar saw doing it!

I see them on local CL not running for about $40. I don't know if they sell.
These are 3 unknown condition I'm pretty sure the 2 are wild things but not sure on the third, but for $50 I'm not sure I'd loose to bad?

Hey you two, I was once like you, and I liked to do the wild thing....

See them for 50 bucks here. Might be able to make good loaner saw or two if people bug ya for saws.

Oh I don't want one to run!! I was looking at hey if I can get them for $ 50 for all and rebuild a varb and new duel lines and get them running g and unload 2@$40-50 a piece I get my money back plus a bit. Then I can keep one and pull it apart and try porting it.

I have 3 saws now that I run. A stihl 390 a husky 345 and 372.

I think you answered your own question - if it is just a toy - and who doesn't love a project to tinker with. I say go for it. Worst case you are out a couple bucks but had fun. Fun comes with a price tag no matter what you do

Agree with the above - if you have to invest ANYTHING in the saws, you'll never make a buck. And, as you said, used parts market on eBay for this class of saw is real bad - you'll not sell much, what you sell will sell cheap, and it won't be worth your time. But......I've bought saws for similar cash just to goof with - like you want to do with the porting. In that case, you're paying a little cash for an education - no worries there! You still may be able to sell a few parts from each and end up with some education for free - I just wouldn't put any thought into purchasing the saws as only a way to make money. Cheers!

Well I haven't heard back from the seller at this point so it may not matter?? This is the worst seller I have dealt with?? Even if sold they tell you? May just move on to the next wild thing.

I want one to mess with porting and to have a saw I don't have anything into so I don't worry about messing it up or tearing it up.

Reactions: NH_Wood
Well I haven't heard back from the seller at this point so it may not matter?? This is the worst seller I have dealt with?? Even if sold they tell you? May just move on to the next wild thing.

I want one to mess with porting and to have a saw I don't have anything into so I don't worry about messing it up or tearing it up.

That's the best way to think about these saws! Cheers!

My brother had a brand new Wild Thing that he wanted to sell. So I put it up on CL for $100 and it took 6 weeks to sell it. People asked me why I did not want to run it. I pointed at my pro Stihl and Huskys in the shop and they said, 'oh'. At that time I was up to about 15 saws I think. Round one of CAD... now I am ramping up in round two.

As for porting, buy a straight gassed saw and play with the scored cylinder to get the feel of grinding them. But get a pro saw that you can port the top end on, and not a clam-shell engine like your MS390 has.

Reactions: TreePointer
The wild thing is a clam shell .

I have a junk cyl off a 372. I can mess with it bit I can't test it to see what I have done!

Well, you can play with grinding the base with emery paper on glass, and open up the cylinder ports and chamfer them with a Dremel tool. You can also open the piston ports. But... the best way is to have a complete blown saw and that way you can measure the squish and check for ring snag, etc.

Here is an 026 port job by MM that you can get an idea from:

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/185285.htm

They are easy saws to port, actually. Here is a thread on 372 porting:

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/103721.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.