Poisen Hemlock!!

Prof Posted By Prof, Nov 21, 2012 at 8:22 PM

  1. Prof

    Prof
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL
    

    Oct 18, 2011
    212
    139
    Loc:
    Western PA
    I was cutting some wood when the in-laws came for a visit. Father-in-law urges me to wear goggles when cutting "poisen hemlock." My mother-in-law tells the story of a family friend who nearly went blind from getting hemlock saw dust in his eye. We've had this conversation so many times, I almost ate a piece of bark just to illustrate the point that hemlock (at least the tree) is not dangerous!
     
    ScotO and Shane N like this.
  2. Wood Duck

    Wood Duck
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL
    

    Feb 26, 2009
    4,711
    811
    Loc:
    Central PA
    I thought you were going to say you ate some of it, or licked a split, or something like that. I bet Hearth.com Members would promote you to Firewood Junkie if you'd eat some. I'll burn the stuff but I won't chew it.
     
    ScotO and Bacffin like this.
  3. cptoneleg

    cptoneleg
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL
    

    Jul 17, 2010
    1,510
    260
    Loc:
    Virginia
    I thought that was Pine that made you go Blind. But eye protection isn't abad idea- Safety
     
  4. amateur cutter

    amateur cutter
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL
    

    Aug 20, 2010
    1,170
    714
    Loc:
    West Michigan
    Any saw chip in the eye without safety wear can make you go blind.
     
    Brewmonster likes this.
  5. JOHN BOY

    JOHN BOY
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL
    

    Sep 20, 2012
    532
    291
    Loc:
    Western Mountains ,NC
    Listen to mother she knows best ! ;lol
     
  6. weatherguy

    weatherguy
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL
    

    Feb 20, 2009
    4,174
    720
    Loc:
    Central Mass
    Poison ivy on hemlock might be a problem.
     
    milleo likes this.
  7. Brewmonster

    Brewmonster
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL
    

    Jan 6, 2011
    220
    91
    Loc:
    Central NJ
    I've known people to be confused about this because Water Hemlock (an herb in the celery/carrot family) is indeed poisonous. It's what the Athenians made Socrates drink when they sentenced him to death. Yet another common name confusion kerfluffle.
     
  8. mesuno

    mesuno
    Member 2.
    NULL
    

    Oct 14, 2010
    165
    7
    Loc:
    UK
    Actually, I'd heard that too much wood sent you blind...
     
    Prof likes this.
  9. blades

    blades
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL
    

    Nov 23, 2008
    2,279
    608
    Loc:
    WI, Milw
    Mesuno, No, that's playing with your wood makes you go blind.
     
    ScotO likes this.
  10. ScotO

    ScotO
    Guest 2.
    NULL
    

    You eat that hemlock, Prof, and you have taken this firewood-thing to a whole new next level.....;lol;)
    Poison hemlock......you FIL is a funny guy!
     
  11. cptoneleg

    cptoneleg
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL
    

    Jul 17, 2010
    1,510
    260
    Loc:
    Virginia


    Most only play with their wood till they need Glasses
     

Share This Page