Polaris 500 breakdown

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leftyscott

Apr 6, 2009
arkansas
OK… I'm hauling a load of firewood out of my woods today. I have a rather steep hill to climb. I gunned it just as I reached the hill and got about 10 yards up when this horrific clanking noise started at the same time i lost momentum. The noise did not cease even after I let up on the gas. I put the emergency brake on and braced the back tire with a log. I was afraid to back down without power so I'll deal with getting it on level ground tomorrow. If it's not fixable, I'm hosed because there is no way to get another vehicle down to haul it out. I'm low on options. Plus I have to find a mechanic who is willing to hike a 1/2 mile into the woods for a repair.

Any suggestions???

Possible CVT belt failure? Pull off the belt cover and do an inspection. Replacements should be $50 or less. The Polaris 500 is actually a very reliably quad. It uses a Fuji Heavy Industries engine (parent of Subaru).

What year is it?

It's a 2006.

Check your PM and I would be looking at belt failure. It's probably partially slapping around in the CVT cover. This is a wear item.

If it isn't belt you may be looking at a primary or secondary clutch rebuild. Hopefully it is just the belt though.

Got it. Thanks.

Yes definitely sounds like the belt came apart. Its common with polaris. Just make sure you use low range

No. I never drive in low and am usually pushing the throttle up a steep hill with a load of wood in the back. Just saw a youtube video on how to change out a belt. I think I'll give it a try but I need to get it to a more safe and flat location. It's about 30 feet up a steep hill presently. Thanks.

I usually clean a new belt with some soap & water and then let the belt dry. This helps ensure there is no greasy residue. At some point you may want to take an air compressor & blow the clutches out. If belt disintegrated it probably left chunks and finer residue in clutches. I typically use a little brake cleaner and scotch brite pad to clean out the clutch sheaves of any belt material that may have bound to them.

Start using low gear! Otherwise you already know it's likely a belt. Because you always use high gear, the sheaves might be glazed. You'll want to scrub the sheave faces with a green scrubby and check for any pits or scratches. Otherwise shouldn't be a horrible job. I shimmed the primary in my grizzly this summer to compensate for bigger tires, and my 6x12 trailer. Had it apart and back together in less then an hour. The grizzly is harder then a popo as half the body panels have to come off to even get at the belt cover. :mad:

Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.