Pole Barn/ Garage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bwhunter85

Feeling the Heat
Aug 21, 2010
Sunfield, MI
I'm looking into getting a 24x24 or 30x30 pole barn/garage built. This would be turnkey, excavating, cement, labor. Just curious what costs I'd be looking at and if anyone had any recommendations on the steel pole barn kits?

Wanting something like this:

Thanks!

Attachments

• garage.bmp
    900.1 KB · Views: 11,386
What kind of excavation does your site require? I'm just putting finishing touches on a 30x60 with 14 foot ceiling. Pole building with concrete, metal sides, and composition roof.

personally I like the garage idea better
insulating, wiring and finishing inside is easier/ nicer
unless you just want a building for storage
pole buildings can be done reasonably

I don't get it a pole building IS just one of the ways to build a garage. Are you saying that you prefer concrete footing/stem wall construction to pole building construction?

My pole building is absolutely a garage. It has three 12x12 garage doors.

Here is one quote: Let me know what you think, please!

Description of project: 24 X 24 Gable system Garage.

1. Excavate and level area where garage will be built.
2. Apply concrete floor.
3. Construct with 2 x 4 side walls.
4. Install 4/12 pitch truss system.
5. Sheet exterior with OSB wood.
6. Install one service door and two windows. (Owner to choose locations.)
7. Install vinyl siding to exterior.
8. Install asphalt shingles to roof.
9. Install one 16 x 7ft. garage door.
10. Clean area of job debris.

We propose to furnish labor & material complete and in accordance to the above project for the sum of:

Fourteen thousand seven hundred and forty eight dollars. $14,748.00

I was thinking $25-$30 bucks per sq/foot...so the $14 grand seems to be in line, and a plus that it includes the concrete.
Wish I could get one here built for that price.

Highbeam said:
I'm just putting finishing touches on a 30x60 with 14 foot ceiling. Pole building with concrete, metal sides, and composition roof.

Spill the beans, I'm wanting to do something similar. No floor for now, just gravel.

Highbeam said:
I don't get it a pole building IS just one of the ways to build a garage. Are you saying that you prefer concrete footing/stem wall construction to pole building construction?

My pole building is absolutely a garage. It has three 12x12 garage doors.

Around here the terminology is
a pole building is just that a pole building
a garage is foundation and stick built
just the way we catergorize them
not putting either down

It isn't big enough.
Don't matter how big, it isn't big enough.
Whatever size you think would work for you, go the next size bigger.

Larry is right. I put up a 50x70 pole shed a couple years ago and it's now so packed full of my toys that I need another one.

Bwhunter85 said:

2. Apply concrete floor.

We propose to furnish labor & material complete and in accordance to the above project for the sum of:

That's a great price for my area. Stick built including labor. Extras will include electrical work, permit cost, gutters, and driveway construction.

Still, a small building. My pickup is over 20 feet long. You're building a 2-car parking garage and not a 2-car garage plus work area and not a truck parking garage.

smoke show said:
Highbeam said:
I'm just putting finishing touches on a 30x60 with 14 foot ceiling. Pole building with concrete, metal sides, and composition roof.

Spill the beans, I'm wanting to do something similar. No floor for now, just gravel.

It turned out great. I had a roof on, but no siding, before pouring concrete. I got spunky and decided to put 2" of foam under the slab and then, well, why not add 1800 LF of 1/2" pex waterline to heat the slab?

I'll look for a photo. Okay, here it is. The small 12x20 barn is now removed so I have 18' on that side to drive around.

Attachments

• shop2-6-12.jpg
    shop2-6-12.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 2,596
I'm in the same boat looking for a pole barn prices seem much better then stick built but not too many builders in CT

i was toying with the same issue. it was going close to the house, so i wanted it to match.... went with a 26x26 sick built garage, concrete floor with attic trusses for storage upstairs since it was a 8/12 roof to match the house. i also put a full awning off the side later for all the goodies that wouldnt fit.

i had built my house 5 y earlier, so i just did the framing with me and my contractor after they poured the concrete and laid the block. took u one day. i called a buddy in who does siding/roofing and the door guy and 2 days later it was finished! mine was over 20k. worth every penny. a pole barn, although nice, just simply would not have matched the house as well, especially with the extra pitch in the roof. it really accents the look of the home i think too.

BTW, yes, its too small! (i say that with 2, 2 care garages now) there is now a 8x24 woodshed behind it now too i built last year. i got tired of tarping!

Attachments

• sunflowers.jpg
    sunflowers.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 609
Bwhunter85 said:

2. Apply concrete floor.

Good price ! I'd probably upgrade to 2 x 6 walls for about $100.00 more

You need more detail in this quote -- here is some, maybe more needed.

Does your area require a building permit? Is there a building code that applies? Who applies for and pays for permit; require compliance with building code; verify insurance of contractor; get references and check out

Need adequate gravel/sand compacted base to support the concrete; need slab at elevation to allow proper drainage away from garage

2. Apply concrete floor.

Any footings? Is floor to be sloped for drainage; any entrance apron?

how thick, what psi rating, what reinforcement (rebar, wire mesh, fiberglass), what to prevent/minimize cracking,

24" oc; 16" oc?
what is eave overhang, 6", 12" more?

what sizes, quality: you want a 36" door for sure, insulated

vinyl is a matter of choice; different quality available; get spec'd as to brand, style, etc. with sample; some vinyl warps a lot when warm/cold

what brand, grade, quality - check out a builder supply; what asphalt paper grade underneath; what ice shield; drip edge

get spec and check it out; insulated?

Fourteen thousand seven hundred and forty eight dollars. $14,748.00[/quote]

To be sure, you can choose any roof pitch you want for a pole barn. Not sure why people think a pole barn has to look any different. You can sheet them with OSB and apply any roofing or siding that you want. I propose that if you want to you can build a pole barn with an identical appearance to a stickbuilt. There are a few disadvantages to pole construction but appearance is not dictated by the foundation style.

Status
Not open for further replies.