Pole Barn / Man Cave

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

golfandwoodnut

Minister of Fire
I have been talking about this for awhile and the shell of the Pole Barn is finally done. I had to clear alot of nice trees for this but I think it was worth the effort. I probably took out about 15 large trees (oaks, maple and cherry trees) and leveled the site with my Bobcat. I was going to build it myself but when I found out I could have it built for less than I could buy the materials for I decided to let the pros do it. The crew that did this was impressive and it only took them 2 1/2 days to build, it is 24 X 40. It is big for me but small compared to alot of stuff they do. It will easily hold 4 cars and much more. I put a side garage in to make it easy to get the ATV, riding mower and Bobcat out the door without moving any vehicles. I think I may store some wood inside for the winter once I get the concrete put in. I also need to run electric yet and install downspouts. We landscaped the area to make it a little more appealing, the wife was not real happy about removing the trees.

Here is a top view:
barntopview.jpg

Here is a side view:
barnside.jpg

Nice barn, very nice, open the door sometimes and let me look inside.

Beauty!!! Looks great!!!

Looks great!

I plan to have a 30'x40' put up in the somewhat near future, I'd also like to put a lean-to off one side for stacking wood under. A large part of the expense is the concrete which can be done later.

cptoneleg said:

You got a deal, more pictures to come. I am not loading it totally up until we get concrete, it is amazing how much guys want to install concrete anymore.

rdust said:
Looks great!

I plan to have a 30'x40' put up in the somewhat near future, I'd also like to put a lean-to off one side for stacking wood under. A large part of the expense is the concrete which can be done later.

I just posted about how expensive concrete is, about 1/2 the cost of the building. If you need a number for guys to install it even cheaper than I did let me know, the installers are subs and will do it for less than going through the company I bought it from. They install everywhere, as far west as Yellowstone and even build camps, A frames, lake houses etc.

A shed roof of the side would be great. I did not think I would have room for that, but it turns out I probably do, but I need the fill dirt to settle on the side. It is tough to find flat ground it Western PA.

That is one sweet barn/mancave. What are your plans for it?

certified106 said:
That is one sweet barn/mancave. What are your plans for it?

I am not sure yet, it was built mainly to hold the Bobcat and my Pickup Truck and other toys. I do have a large garage in the bottom of the house that I plan on cleaning out and making my workshop for when I retire. It keeps pretty warm in the winter and is closer to beer, but I love going in the barn so it may take precedence. I have no current plans of finishing the inside or heating yet.

cptoneleg said:

+1 looking for heat otherwise its for fair weather! ;-)

Very nice! All it needs is a TV, couch, beer fridge and of course a wood stove and you can live in there!

Very Nice.... You are going to Love it..

As far as the install/build price... Its much cheaper and timely for them to build the Garage/Barn. I had a 30 x 40 built. It is made by Cleary. Good company, great prices. I could not believe how cheap it was.. And the build cost. Barn is in the background of pic.

That and in 1 DAY it was DONE.. There is a Man door on the right side and another door on the back, same size as the front. We built it for horses, but soon realized the work involved. Got rid of the horses and have been slowly using the wood from the fence on different projects. My Woodshed (Was a Dog Kennel) and the Side-Kit on my Trailer.

Nice Set-up you got there. I am sure once your Wife see's the uses that can come out of having such a building...

Attachments

• Oak 4.jpg
    Oak 4.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 885
Movin' this thread out of the Wood Shed into the Perfect Picture forum. Rick

Very nice . . . looks plenty big to hold the toys . . . at least until you buy even more toys to fill it up. ;) :)

GolfandWoodNut said:
I have been talking about this for awhile and the shell of the Pole Barn is finally done. I had to clear alot of nice trees for this but I think it was worth the effort. I probably took out about 15 large trees (oaks, maple and cherry trees) and leveled the site with my Bobcat. I was going to build it myself but when I found out I could have it built for less than I could buy the materials for I decided to let the pros do it. The crew that did this was impressive and it only took them 2 1/2 days to build, it is 24 X 40. It is big for me but small compared to alot of stuff they do. It will easily hold 4 cars and much more. I put a side garage in to make it easy to get the ATV, riding mower and Bobcat out the door without moving any vehicles. I think I may store some wood inside for the winter once I get the concrete put in. I also need to run electric yet and install downspouts. We landscaped the area to make it a little more appealing, the wife was not real happy about removing the trees.

GAWN; nice man cave built just in time for that early winter.

zap

Thanks Jay, Jake, Zap and Albert, always good to hear compliments from respected members of this great forum.

GolfandWoodNut said:
Thanks Jay, Jake, Zap and Albert, always good to hear compliments from respected members of this great forum.

Respected member of the forum . . . hehheh . . . you do know I'm a founding member of The Idiot's Club, right? :) :) But seriously . . . this looks sharp.

firefighterjake said:
GolfandWoodNut said:

Respected member of the forum . . . hehheh . . . you do know I'm a founding member of The Idiot's Club, right? :) :) But seriously . . . this looks sharp.

Yea I still want to see inside....lol

Dry storage is Primo!
Very nice.

very nice-seems like a lot of the responses are from posters as green as the garage! where did you ever find a matching tent for it???nice touch!

smokinjay said:
firefighterjake said:
GolfandWoodNut said:

Give me a chance the shell is just up, I will be glad to show you how it is so far.. :p

yooperdave said:
very nice-seems like a lot of the responses are from posters as green as the garage! where did you ever find a matching tent for it???nice touch!

dave, that is a tent from my neighbors that we could not see before I cut down all the trees. My sister thought the tent was for me since my wife kicked me out of the house after having it built. :)

GolfandWoodNut said:
yooperdave said:

dave, that is a tent from my neighbors that we could not see before I cut down all the trees. My sister thought the tent was for me since my wife kicked me out of the house after having it built. :)

Is your wife part Greek ;-P , they have an old saying.

The men may be the head of the house but the women are the neck and they can turn the head anyway they want.

zap

;-)
GolfandWoodNut said:
smokinjay said:
firefighterjake said:
GolfandWoodNut said:

Give me a chance the shell is just up, I will be glad to show you how it is so far.. :p

Concrete or gravel? Just checking to see if this is the next GTG Hot spot! (We are all so quite the Wife will not even know we are there) ;-)

smokinjay said:
;-)
GolfandWoodNut said:
smokinjay said:
firefighterjake said:
GolfandWoodNut said:

Concrete or gravel? Just checking to see if this is the next GTG Hot spot! (We are all so quite the Wife will not even know we are there) ;-)

Jay,
It is gravel now and getting the concrete bids now. Outside I am going to have it done in exposed aggregate so it should be cool. Would love to have you over for a few beers and chainsaw fun. I have 2 fire pits two, I will have to look into one for the barn someday. One concrete guy said a cool thing to do is run coils under the concrete and hook it up to an outside wood burner to heat the place.

zapny said:
GolfandWoodNut said:
yooperdave said:

Is your wife part Greek ;-P , they have an old saying.

The men may be the head of the house but the women are the neck and they can turn the head anyway they want.

zap

She is Italian, probably pretty similiar hot blood. :zip: She can't believe so many guys are into looking at a barn. I told her she doesn't understand, we get excited just looking at wood piles.

Status
Not open for further replies.