Pole Barn / Man Cave

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
GolfandWoodNut said:
zapny said:
GolfandWoodNut said:
yooperdave said:
very nice-seems like a lot of the responses are from posters as green as the garage! where did you ever find a matching tent for it???nice touch!

dave, that is a tent from my neighbors that we could not see before I cut down all the trees. My sister thought the tent was for me since my wife kicked me out of the house after having it built. :)

Is your wife part Greek ;-P , they have an old saying.

The men may be the head of the house but the women are the neck and they can turn the head anyway they want.

zap

She is Italian, probably pretty similiar hot blood. :zip: She can't believe so many guys are into looking at a barn. I told her she doesn't understand, we get excited just looking at wood piles.

My grandparents from my fathers side are from Plati Calabria, ask her if she's making the sauce on Sunday, if she is I'll swing over and pick up smokin then stop buy. :zip:

zap

She is part calabrese, part Rome and Venice areas. She is a good cook but the homande sauce days are over, too easy to buy Prego etc. and spice it up a bit. She loves the garlic.

Seems the man cave went by the way of the powder puff Derby in this thread!

smokinjay said:
Seems the man cave went by the way of the powder puff Derby in this thread!
Heah, what goes on in the man cave stays in the man cave..

Golf, any idea how long it will take before you wish you'd built that bigger. lol That happened to me last year and took only a couple of weeks before I thought, gee, we should have gone a bit bigger...

Backwoods Savage said:
Golf, any idea how long it will take before you wish you'd built that bigger. lol That happened to me last year and took only a couple of weeks before I thought, gee, we should have gone a bit bigger...
That is what everybody says, you never build them big enough. I am getting concrete for it now and using exposed aggregate in the driveway to give it a cool look that the wife should like. It is amazing how you have to watch these guys, I have about 170 feet of driveway (in addition to the 1300 feet we already have concreted) pluse the 24 X 40 pole barn. I got estimates as high as $15,500 and the guy that was at $14,400 just came down to $9,000. I kept asking questions like what happened to just doubling the price of materials? I know concrete went up but that is crazy. If you do not show you know what you are talking about you can get *****. I am thinking of doing one at the Lake House too to hold the toys out there. The Pole Barn itself is pretty cheap to have built, its the concrete that you have to watch. I am even OK with just gravel.

I surely agree Solar. For now we just have gravel but also a wood floor for the working area. The only bad part of gravel is that after it rains the dirt splashes up on the doors to make a mess. We haven't yet decided if we will do something different or not.

Backwoods Savage said:
I surely agree Solar. For now we just have gravel but also a wood floor for the working area. The only bad part of gravel is that after it rains the dirt splashes up on the doors to make a mess. We haven't yet decided if we will do something different or not.

Dennis,
It is nice that yours is close to the house for storing wood. Mine is a little bit of a walk so I think I will store some wood in it but still keep some closer to the house to save some footsteps, but it will be nice to know some is perfectly dry when I need it..

Backwoods Savage said:

Wood floors are nice. Much easier on the body than walking on concrete. I wish I would have made the floor in my shop wood in front of the work benches.

very nice pole barn, some day i hope to have my own camp and a pole barn similar to that of yours.

bill*67 said:
very nice pole barn, some day i hope to have my own camp and a pole barn similar to that of yours.
Thanks Bill, if you keep you mind set on it I am sure it can happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.