Pole Barn:Steel Drum Stove Install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Protective_Svcs

Jan 21, 2015
Kentucky
Hello Friends,

I have read the forums here on and off since I purchased my new house in Feb. of last year but this is my first post. With the purchase of the house and land came a huge detached garage and a pole barn on the end of the property that has been converted into a workshop. The construction looks to be wood framed with steel walls inside and out with a green quarter inch foam insulation between the steel walls. Here's my question; I plan to build a wood stove out of a 55 gallon steel drum to heat the workshop. The roof is all metal (ribbed) except for the 4 (I believe) fiberglass translucent panels to allow sunlight inside and the only insulation looks to be a very thin "yellowish" and foil backed (on the interior side) insulation adhered directly to backside of the metal roof. Since there arent any combustibles besides that thin insulation and the wood trusses, what kid of flashing/boot and stove pipe do you subject matter experts think I would need? Obviously I want to keep costs down (I just bought a house and a baby on the way (broke)) but I also dont want to burn my new shop down or melt the roof. Any guidance that can be provided would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

I would use a class A chimney thru the room, single wall pipe to the stove and adhere to the 2" clearance to the class A and 18" to the stove. Also understand that installing a non UL listed stove may be against code in your area and void any insurance, etc.

Depending on the chimney brand you select, there are a few different flashings designed exactly for metal roofs. If you are too broke to do it right, dress warm when in the shop until you can afford to do it safely.

Congrats on the baby on the way.

I appreciate your response. As far as "being broke" I was stating that for those that "only install the best" instead of understanding that jobs can be completed properly and safely without spending in excess (being realistic).

If I have the chimney pass through the lower side of the roof (closer to the drip edge) and the roof being metal, what is the acceptable height from the roof deck to the top of the chimney?

10-3-2 rule.JPG

Thanks for that begreen, I'm definitely "more visual." When it comes to clearances regarding combustibles, since the walls are metal does that change the clearances at all? or regardless of the wall material they are to be maintained?

It will need 36" clearances to all combustibles. This includes the purlins in a metal post and beam construction building.

Status
Not open for further replies.