Pole Barns

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mayhem

Minister of Fire
May 8, 2007
Saugerties, NY
I've only just learned of this type of structure, though really I've seen them all my life. Strongly considering doing one on my property and I think my eyes are getting bigger than my hammer and my wallet.

Apart from my house I have no sheltered storage on my property and I desperately need some. Lawn mower, snowblowers, 8's snowplow, gas cans, yard tools...its all just too much clutter and I hate watching it all slowly rot away, never mind my 64 Spitfire slowly returning to the earth as it sits off the ground near the driveway.

I found this plan online and absolutely fell in love with it.

http://www.todaysplans.net/use-djb-candlewood-mini-barn-plans.html

This structure would solve alot of my problems. PLenty of room for the spirfire and the plow, mowers, blowers, tools and all that...and probably could put a couple cords of wood in there too if I wanted to, or just extend the shed part to the corner and leave ot open.

But I've never built anything this complex. I've read over the "free" plans and while its alot of work, I think I'm up to the task. Question is, is this really realistic? Can I piecemeal it together and add sections as I free up finances for the lumber? Once I get the frame up and the roof on there the structure will be more or less tied together and I can work at my own pace and do a section at a time, right? Or am I being a bit foolhardy?

Opinions? I don't have a specific budget, but as with many others, free cash is short right now...I'm up for a $5000 raise at the beginning of next month, so an extra $100 a week ought to help considerably.

You will want to discuss this with your local buiding inspector as Mass has the reputation of making it difficult for do it yourselfers. You may need an engineered design with a PE stamp and the town may have restrictions in place requiring the structure to be completed within a set timeframe (usually 1 year).

One major trick with polebarns is to have right soil. Frost prone marine clay or glacial silt does not make a good start, although there are some intiguing concepts where the poles are wrapped with a hard plastic layer so the frost cant lift them. Ideally you want well draining gravel around the poles.

My building inspector is pretty laid back and easy to deal with. He's inspected some of my other work and knows that I'll do quality work when I'm building something.

Planning on downloading the state building code to see what size an outbuilding becomes a big headache.

We have very rocky ground at my place and down deep its pretty good soil, the sand was trucked in as fill when we built. What about cement filled around the posts? I would go down 42-48" I guess to keep it below frost grade.

Don't fill the holes to the top with concrete. The rough outside of the concrete will give the frost something to grab. Wrap multiple layers of 6 mil poly on the first couple of feet of pole that is in the ground so that frost cannot grab it by the sides. Drive spikes in the lower portion of the poles for the concrete to grab to and only pour concrete near the base of the poles. Fill the upper portion of the holes where the poly is with builder's sand.

Whatever you build, go twice as big. I don't know anyone who thinks they built a storage building too large; but lots who found they built too small. I just built a new shop, twice as big as my old one.

I think your plan will work fine, especialy if you are on good terms with the inspector. Around here permits are routinely renewed for another year. The town is more than glad to get paid twice for the same job. Good luck, and I also think you will quickly outgrow that space. Try to design for easy enlargement via lean-to style expansion.

Status
Not open for further replies.