Pole Pruner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have any experience with these? I have some trees near my house that have limbs getting too close to gutters, power wires, etc.

I know at $400, these aren't cheap, but it's cheaper than a hospital stay. Yesterday, I had my little tree saw and a step ladder out. While I can get some of the lower branches, I don't like extending and shifting weight on a ladder.

http://www.stihlusa.com/products/pole-pruners/homeowner-pole-pruners/ht56ce/

What I wish was that these lower priced units could have different attachments such as a trimmer. Then, it would be a steal.

I bought a used KM55R on ebay a couple years back.....got the chainsaw attachment, as well as a tiller attachment, and it was really cheap (as the unit needed some minor work). Anyway, I love having that thing for cutting branches....I even bough a couple more extensions and I can get it out to around 16'....but after that it gets hard to handle. I use it on the jobs where I just cant get out to those little branches that are hanging over powerlines and such.....it is well-worth having. The tiller works great in between the plants in the garden and flowerbed too!

Being you are going to use it for homeowner use, I'd look into the KM line-up (Kombi System) of Stihl......lots and lots of great attachments for that machine.

Bought this May 2012,wish I had it years ago.Tired of sore arms & shoulders going back & forth with a manual pole pruner on branches 4" or bigger,while standing on 10 ft step ladder......Still kept it though since the lopper part is great for small quick cuts not far up the trunk.

Tons of power,it blazed through 10" long dead Red Oak like it was nothing.I had 1 leaning snag intertwined into a straight one on a slope next to a ravine,didnt want to be underneath that nasty thing while cutting it loose.....!!! :eek: And wasnt about to climb up that trunk at a 45 degree angle either......1 vee cut 12 ft off the ground part way through,another undercut about 2 inches over & it folded like a house of cards - with me on the ground safely 15 ft to one side when it went. >>

http://www.husqvarna.com/us/forest/products/pole-saws/327p5x/

Go Ye Forth & Slay The Dragon.............::-)

Attachments

• PICT0013.JPG
    PICT0013.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 207
  • PICT0016.JPG
    PICT0016.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 202
  • PICT0017.JPG
    PICT0017.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 238
  • PICT0020.JPG
    PICT0020.JPG
    100.9 KB · Views: 211
After weighing my options and reading some reviews on both Husqvarna and the Stihl, I think I'll be getting the Stihl Kombi system with a pole cutter and an extension for about $500. A blower and trimmer can be added for at or under $100 each later. No doubt both fine machines with either Husky or Stihl...I like being able to add different tools to the same powerhead as offered by the Stihl.

A nice 36th birthday present for myself here. Always a good thing.

If I bought a dedicated pole saw, then I'd get that itch later and spend more for a separate trimmer with it's own powerhead and spend more in the long run.

Bought the Kombi system for my husband this year - combined birthday and fathers day - kids chipped in also. He has the string trimmer, cutivator, couple of different brush blades and the blower attachment. We don't have the pole trimmer yet - next year's gift.

I needed to get an articulating hedge trimmer and wanted a new pole saw. The Kombi 110 and 130 models were sold out at the time, and I needed the long articulating trimmer head for a job I was doing so I bought the KM-90R they had in stock. The pole saw attachment has nice torque, even with the extra extension. I've made cuts much longer than the bar and have used it as a trail saw without a hiccup. Very pleased.

It really has been one of the best purchases I've ever made. The hedge trimmer attachment is pretty much unstoppable. The performance of the blower attachment is on par with my brother's Echo backpack model, and I'll often use it to blow off our mowing equipment rather than wait for the 25 gallon compressor to fill. The best part is that the motor and all attachments can be taken to a jobsite in the trunk of a midsized sedan.

Reactions: ScotO
I have an old-fashioned pruner pole, roughly ten 6-foot sections. Three of my attachments are a pruner (highly-advantaged blade on a hook), a good old-fashioned hook, and a pruning saw (hooked saw blade). I can extend it roughly 5 - 6 sections plus attachment (maybe 40 feet) before it becomes too difficult to handle. Much more versatile than a 14 - 16 foot chainsaw pruner, and gives you a good work-out to boot!

Reactions: firecracker_77
another happy Kombi owner here too! the 4-mix motor is awesome and attachments are endless. only one motor to worry about with regards to fuel and storage during the winter.

I got the homeowner Kombi unit, the pole extender, the tree pruner, and the curved string trimmer with oil out the door for $570. Not cheap, but with about $450 into a MS290 and accessories, and another $400 into the MS192TC, there aren't too many tasks that I would take on that I couldn't now handle. Granted, none of my stuff is pro-level, but I would never use them enough to make it worth the extra $$$.

The tree pruner does what I needed it to do. I have a single story residence and single story office building with trees growing too close for comfort

I got the homeowner Kombi unit, the pole extender, the tree pruner, and the curved string trimmer with oil out the door for $570. Not cheap, but with about $450 into a MS290 and accessories, and another $400 into the MS192TC, there aren't too many tasks that I would take on that I couldn't now handle. Granted, none of my stuff is pro-level, but I would never use them enough to make it worth the extra $$$.

The tree pruner does what I needed it to do. I have a single story residence and single story office building with trees growing too close for comfort
What's REALLY nice is, say, down the road, you want to get a bigger power unit.....you can upgrade the powerhead and still use all those accessories! So if you save up some jingle in a couple years and find that you need a bigger powerhead, you can go get one....

One tip I've found out, check the spark arrestor in that muffler often. When that thing clogs up, the motor won't run right. It's the "nut" on the muffler outlet. I took my arrestor off altogether and it's a different machine now.....

What's REALLY nice is, say, down the road, you want to get a bigger power unit.....you can upgrade the powerhead and still use all those accessories! So if you save up some jingle in a couple years and find that you need a bigger powerhead, you can go get one....

One tip I've found out, check the spark arrestor in that muffler often. When that thing clogs up, the motor won't run right. It's the "nut" on the muffler outlet. I took my arrestor off altogether and it's a different machine now.....

Thanks for the advice on that. I'll wait till she starts running rough to do anything to the engine.

another happy Kombi owner here too! the 4-mix motor is awesome and attachments are endless. only one motor to worry about with regards to fuel and storage during the winter.

Don't you love that little engine? My neighbor and I get together to use our power brooms on gravel each spring that the plow guy knocks around. My 4 stroke just idles along turning those paddles and my neighbors unit is going about 8k RPM!

You got the 55 model? Or a bigger one?

The km56 which replaces the km 55. for as little as I'll use it, I didn't want any more expense
That machine will impress you just fine.......I have the 55R, and I've laid some abuse.to it the past year and a half, with the tiller and saw attachments......

Like I said, just keep an eye on the spark arrestor. When it clogs up, rip the screen out of it, retune the powerhead, and you're back in business.

I've been watching for some kind of combo unit. It won't get heavy use, so even though I'd love to have a Stihl, my heart isn't set on it - will come down to the buy I find. I did see a year old km55 head for around 175 a couple days ago - not quite the buy I'm looking for but dang I love these Stihls...

I've been watching for some kind of combo unit. It won't get heavy use, so even though I'd love to have a Stihl, my heart isn't set on it - will come down to the buy I find. I did see a year old km55 head for around 175 a couple days ago - not quite the buy I'm looking for but dang I love these Stihls...
I found my 55R on ebay a year and a half ago, bought it for just around 100 bucks (WITH the chainsaw attachment)! It was in poor running, and after overhauling the carburetor with no noticible gain in performance, I found the culprit to be (you guessed it) a clogged spark arrestor!! Took it out and it runs like a ***** ape!!

my BIL has one and it sure is easy to trim branches 20ft up with the use of a ladder. I would buy a poulan if you could , and i like stihl stuff, but i use it like once a year.

I trimmed all the trees around my house yesterday. The problem with this stuff is you take the branches off no problem, but then you have to do all the ground work which is always more than you realize going into it. I took a 10 inch branch off a sugar maple, and that tree alone took a couple hours to saw up the fallen limbs. I can't burn where I live, so you have to deal with all those branches.

Reactions: TreePointer
LOL, I wish every homeowner would experience what you just did. Tree services don't charge much to just to put a tree on the ground (the fun part), but the price can more than double if it's a removal.

Reactions: Thistle
LOL, I wish every homeowner would experience what you just did. Tree services don't charge much to just to put a tree on the ground (the fun part), but the price can more than double if it's a removal.

Took down a 8-10 inch hickory yesterday, to clear the way to remove a 12" Walnut limb that had snapped broken off nearly 30 feet off the ground. Golf green to the left about 30 feet, branches intertwined, large trees to the immediate right.

Was an all-day affair.

Reactions: TreePointer
The worst part is the tip of that branch slapped my car as I hadn't moved it far enough out of the way. Needless to say, I will need some paint work. Now that really stings

Reactions: Ashful
Status
Not open for further replies.