Pole saw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Henz

Mar 23, 2006
Northville, NY
I bought a pole saw today at TSC..I looked at the Husquvarna at $540 and then at the Poulan at $198..Of course I went with the Poulan..It has a 12' reach, is 31cc and has a 8" bar..Says it can cut anything under 6" diameter..I really need to do some trimming around the house and for the price I jsut couldnt beat it..Also came with an attachable grass trimmer as well! I will report back on its performance once I have used it

wow, that is quite a pile.. I just burn it, small piles at a time. Much safer than using the chain saw on a ladder!

I have a 2-cycle gas chain saw for heavy work, and I have a manual pole saw/pruner for really light work. For in-between work, especially close to the house, (within the reach of a 100' extension cord) I've found that an electric pole chain saw is a terrific little tool. The saw can be removed from the pole (four screws) and used by hand for easy-to-reach stuff like limbing up trees or whatever. Attached to the pole, it'll reach about 12' or so. Works great. I bought mine years ago in Northern Virginia...I think at Home Depot. This link is to an ad on Amazon which shows essentially the same tool. With a little searching, you may be able to find a better price. No mixing gas, no smoke, less noise, and it gets the job done...up to about 6" diameter. Rick

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004RAY2

yeah my Dad has one already..Its alittle slow for my taste and some of the places I intend on using it are several hundred feet from the nearest outlet!

My ol man has a weed wacker, you can put dif attachments on the end.
He has the saw attachement, and I'll tell ya, I was the first to use it, don't think he has yet. It worked great!
I had some weeping willow branches hanging over the power line, man it zipped through it like butter.
Not the power line ;)
I have a Ryobi trimmer, gonna grab me a saw attachment for it. Great lil tool.

I have a couple of those Ryobi's that you can click on attachments to (used to have two houses when I lived in Virginia). The leaf blower's a piece of junk, because the air intake is right down there in the leaves yer tryin' to blow (duh!). The weed trimmer works fine. The little roto-tiller works surprisingly well for small scale flower beds & such...I used it a lot for working peat & mulch into the soil in small plots. Never have tried the saw/trimmer attachment, but I'll bet it works great, just as you say, so long as you're not expecting too much of it. The right tool for the job. Nice thing about the rig is that all the weight is where you are, instead of out on the end of a pole, making it easier and less tiring to handle. Rick

Well, I put the poulan to the test this past weekend. Trimmed branches for the 6" dia down to the 1" dia..I must say, that for the average homeowner, this Pole saw is the ticket. Pretty fast/powerful. I would not recomend it for a professional tree/lawncare service but for the person like myself, ie homeowner. For the $185 I spent on it, that also included a trimmer attachment, you cant go wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.