Poll: Bought pellets already, waiting, or what??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

What is your pellet situation right now?

• I have enough from last year and don't need any more.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

imacman

Just thought I'd expand on that other poll. Do you have your pellets already all nice and stacked ready for winter, or are you waiting until fall, or what??

I have 60 bags stacked in the cellar that were givin to me by family that wont be burning this year(Pike Premium,Kentuckey Komfort Ambiance And Pennington) I plan to buy more as time goes by. 10 bags a trip in the Honda Accord. Does this qualify me as a Piglet in the pellet pig club? Pellet prices in the seacoast area of New Hampshire are as follows.

New England $275 A Ton
Appling $275
Maine Woods $265
Okanagan $295
Rocky Mtn. $295
Northern $295

Fuel Oil $207 a Gal

Jim

I have about 3 1/2 tons neatly stacked in my basement. I would like another ton, but don't want to pay for delivery. There are a few places around here, so I will probably pick up some bags here and there to make another ton. If it's not a good brand however, I'll stick with what I have.

I have a total of four tons ready to go of the best available where I am. I pre-paid and saved quite a bit of money late last spring. I had a ton left over from last year. Just received the new pellets a few weeks ago. The prices are now higher yet there is no apparent shortage this year. However, there appears to be more less quality pellets available. This could be a result of the decrease in quality standards implemented last year by the pellet institute. I would recommend comparing last years quality to this years of the same brand to see if they are now complying with the lesser ash and moisture content standards.

I again have 6 tons stacked and ready for winter..... I have room for 2 more tons if I spot a bargain..... (I burned 6 tons last winter).....

I bought 6 tons of LG's to go with the 2 tons of Barefoots left over from last year. The most we've ever burnt in a year, last year, was 4 tons. I won't buy any more until the '11-'12 early spring buy comes along. You can call me a pig, unless you sell HHO, then you can call me an ex-customer.

I have 5 ton stacked ready to go,waiting on the 6th ton from creativebiomass in Fitchburg.I burnt 5 ton last year and that wasnt enough, if I find anymore good deals I might just snag a couple more.BTW oil is at 2.35 a gal in Fitchburg been going up steadily for a few weeks, just glad Im all set for the winter.

bought 4 tons of Energex at $279 per ton and a total of$20. for delivery (5 miles) My supplier puts them right in my garage right where I want them so no re-stacking. I bought six tons last year and have over a ton left. With oil down, and having burned some oil that was expensive from last year. I didn't save money with my pellet adventure. However, we were much more comfortable. Hate to admit it, but with the cool damp weather, I am still running the stove for a few hours nearly every day. I have a dehumidifier but I find the pellet stove does a much better job.

There are four tons in the garage shrink-wrapped and ready to go: two tons Okanagan and two tons New England Wood Pellets. Four tons took care of me last year. If we have another cool wet spring, I may look around then and see what's available.

BTU,

You're quite welcome! I've tried them and really like them; they're a good product and that's why I praise them.

LOL, you're also a good salesman and your mini-essays on the industry are informative. LOL, better watch out and stay within bounds or the serious and responsible moderators will land on you for commercial speech!

:)

I'm beginning to think that those who are waiting till fall are not going to be happy. Even though my guess is there's no problem with pellet supply right now, the prices aren't going down; in fact they've gone up a little. I stopped at a local place, Mackey's in Columbia CT as they had pellets advertised. I was very excited when they said they had Hamer Hot Ones that just came in. However, the price per ton was over $400 (don't have the exact amount, I think I went into shock) It's $8.50 a bag, or something like that. As much as I would like to support a locally owned, family run place, that price is way over my comfort level, even for great pellets. My dream of becoming a pellet pig is going to have to wait till next year.

I burned a little less than 4 tons last year(191 bags), I was able to swing 3 tons out of the income tax return. Paid no more than $245.00/ton. I need about 1 more ton or so. Waiting for the mid summer deal, If there is one to be had! But at the worst I only need to pick up 40 or so bags at around $6.00 a bag.

So I'm almost set for the 2009-2010 season. I don't think the people hoping for the down swing in prices are going to be very happy come fall!

BTU I am on the look out for those pellets you keep plugging. So far the Barefoots I purchased last year are the ones to beat! I will give a fair comparison when I find a few bags to try in the fall. Where are the Northwestern CT dealers located????(PM Please)

You 'ALL' have a Great summer and Happy pellet hunting!!! (Ye who gets best deal wins!!!)

jay

Bought 1 ton (plus 15 extra bags on the pallet) of Okanagan and 1 ton Pro Pellet......
Add in the 1 ton of New England Wood Pellet and 1/2 ton of Hamer's Hot Ones left over from last year.....I am ready for the season.

By the way, the total price for the 1 ton + 15 bags Okanagan and 1 ton ProPellet: $701 including $60 for delivery.

Well, it seems pretty obvious from the results so far that not too many people think pellet prices are coming down this summer or fall.

Funny thing is though, is that there seems to be lots of pellets available. Every dealer I know of in my area has at least 20 tons or more on hand. Hmmmm.......

Macman,

Looks like if you can get them for $240 to $250 range your doing well. Most prices I see are in the $280 range.

There are 2 pellet house's near me and they have raise there prices already. Been steadily going up since April.

I just hope people in New England heed the warning and don't wait till fall(unless you plan on Oil). Got a good feeling there going to be over $325 by September.

just my 2
jay

was in rochester, NH HD today, fireside ultra for $299/ton had them on a rack going up 2 stories. I got 6 tons of MWP for 239/ton with shipping came to $1515.
Just wait til the kneecap trade bill (carbon tax) makes it through the senate (already passed the house), pellets will be a great deal again.

My second ton went into the garage tonight ! ! ! Went with the barefoot brand, got ripped for 300$ but its still WAY cheaper than propane for me.

Presently oil is cheaper to burn the pellets so may not burn any pellets this year. Last year paid 214 a ton now they want 290, just not worth it.

Just finished loading 4 ton into my basement. Had to build a chute. Bought from a very small mill that is local. They use harwood flooring sawdust to make the pellets. Burned a couple of bags 2 months ago to check them out. Not many fines and they threw off a lot more heat then the Appling and Tidy Timbers that I had tried. The company name is Notie and they say the pellets are Super Premium. They can call them whatever they want as long as they burn good, throw off a bunch of heat and don't make a lot of ash, which from the limited burning time doesn't seem to be the case. This will be my 1st winter with a pellet burner. Paid $255 ton cash and I picked them up.

Have a total of 3.5 tons stacked in the basement.
1/2 ton is left over out of 4 tons from last year. (The famous Athens old style)
The 3 new tons are from New England Wood Pellet Jaffrey, NH.
Last year we paid $314/ton delivered and this year $274/ton delivered.

What's up with the temps?? 56 degrees at 6 PM today!!

it's all the global warming, I rememeber back when I was a kid and summers were hot, before al gore invented the internet and global warming.
seriously, my daughter is seven this year, the last year it was realy hot up here in ME was the year she was born, we were sleeping on the screen porch many nights that summer to keep cool, havn't even realy needed to think of it since then.

I now have two tons plus 3 bags from last year in the basement. I guess I am a few bags short of piggy land. I went with a new supplier this year for my Lignetics and it seems they stored the pallets outside. I am a bit concerned they are "not as fresh" as last year's, which were fresh and stored inside. I hope they fully dry out in the coming months.

Mark M said:
I now have two tons plus 3 bags from last year in the basement. I guess I am a few bags short of piggy land. I went with a new supplier this year for my Lignetics and it seems they stored the pallets outside. I am a bit concerned they are "not as fresh" as last year's, which were fresh and stored inside. I hope they fully dry out in the coming months.

If they still had the factory big plastic "bag" still sealed over them and it wasn't ripped, you should be good to go.

BTW, what did you pay for them? You should post the price in the "Fuel Price Reports" section if you haven't already.

I have my pellet pallets coverd with the original covers plus a large campaign sign from the last election (at least mccain is doing me some good now) and steel roofing sections from HD. at first I thought it was overkill but after monsoon season it didn't seem like a waste.

I'll get some when I get to it, ain't had time yet, don't see prices going up. Gotta get some by Sept., lookin' for deals next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.