Poll: Do You Cover Your Main Supply of Firewood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Do You Cover Your Main Supply of Firewood?

• It’s not covered at all.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

4-8-4 Northern

Oct 20, 2006
New Hampshire
I don't know if this has been done recently or not, but I was just curious about how many of us cover our main supply of firewood.

I'm assuming that most of us have a small supply right by our houses on the porch, on the deck, in the garage, in the shed, etc. I'm *NOT* talking about this wood. I'm talking about your main supply of firewood. This is the stuff we have out back which we're seasoning for future winters.

Thanks.

I have everything for this winter covered. Future winter's is not covered, but stacked off the ground.

Steve

Trying the "top only" method this year. Really starting to wonder if I should have covered it all last night after that monsoon we had in CT. Looking at it today, it really didnt look that wet considering it was coming down sideways!

All this years wood is under the deck and ready to burn. next years is uncovered out in the "back 40 " and will be hauled up next fall and placed under the deck.

All seven and a half cords are sitting three feet out of the back door of my basement office. I have been about as entertained by tramping through the snow to drag in wood as I care to be.

It is covered. That didn't make the twenty mile an hour winds or inch and a half of rain in an hour any difference yesterday. A lot got wet. The 12 X 24 wood shed built twenty years ago is now piled full of crap. It is too far away.

We have wood for 3 winters, nearly all is covered except for odd lot end or two of stack...Either in woodshed or underneath roofing tin..

I consider my wood racks partially covered as I folded the tarps, put them on top. They only go down 8 inches or so on the sides.

I keep everything covered as soon as the pile is complete. Don't have any reason, it just makes me feel better or something.

I actually finally finished splitting everything I had in rounds this past weekend. I've got about 2.5 cords up for next year. Thanksgiving break should be a good time for me to get another 1.5 cords up. Still have a few people who have offered me wood that I haven't had a chance to go pick up.

It's hard when you don't have a truck, ya know

All of my wood is covered.

Most of the time my supply for this season is uncovered, unless there is moisture-bearing weather in the vicinity, when the top gets covered. Stacked, seasoning logs are not covered.

Corie said:
I keep everything covered as soon as the pile is complete. Don't have any reason, it just makes me feel better or something.

I actually finally finished splitting everything I had in rounds this past weekend. I've got about 2.5 cords up for next year. Thanksgiving break should be a good time for me to get another 1.5 cords up. Still have a few people who have offered me wood that I haven't had a chance to go pick up.

It's hard when you don't have a truck, ya know

Corie,
How do you store your Coal pile?

I could see you guys burning hard need to cover it... I leave my pine uncovered here in colorado it's so dry that even when it does rain or snow it just means my wood will burn longer. (as opposed to burning in 30 minutes!)

Warren,

Coal lives in two seperate bins.

One is 4x4x8 and is directly on the driveway, so that the delivery can access it easily.

Second bin lives next to the garage side door, and holds a ton. Total this year is 4 tons, 3 in the big boy and 1 ton in the small. That should last for the next two years, in combination with the wood I've been scrounging. I am going to be doing a tree removal for someone so I'm getting two HUGE pines. Woo!

Corie said:
Warren,

Coal lives in two seperate bins.

One is 4x4x8 and is directly on the driveway, so that the delivery can access it easily.

Second bin lives next to the garage side door, and holds a ton. Total this year is 4 tons, 3 in the big boy and 1 ton in the small. That should last for the next two years, in combination with the wood I've been scrounging. I am going to be doing a tree removal for someone so I'm getting two HUGE pines. Woo!

Who Hoo? Yeah..wait till you try to split that stuff. You'll find out that our didn't make that stove big enough to burn whole rounds in a single load :)

I'm thinking Spikes yule log stove is the ticket.

hahah.

Pine splits better seasoned than green, right?

I've never dealt with it before because of the fear it would gunk things up. After seeing the column of heat coming out of the stack with this stove though, I'm confident it won't be an issue.

Corie said:
hahah.

Pine splits better seasoned than green, right?

I've never dealt with it before because of the fear it would gunk things up. After seeing the column of heat coming out of the stack with this stove though, I'm confident it won't be an issue.

The Englander burn tonight is all pine. Stove came from Virginia, burning in Virginia and the wood is Virginia pine. Stack is blowing nothing but heat waves. Two medium splits just finishing two hours of duty.

Burn it!

I wish i had coverd my wood or at least got it on the porch. I get to dig down to my wood pile on a regular basis.

The spring time project will be to build a woodshed so I don't have to play around with tarps. Looking to build big enough to hold 4-5 cords.

Last year the main pile was in the backyard (covered) with a smaller pile by the door. This year all 5 cords are piled in the driveway right by the door (covered). Anything that doesn't get burned will get dragged to the backyard for the Summer. Pretty cool neighbourhood. Around here a garden is OK, nice shutters, patio furniture or a fancy workshop/garage will get some admiring glances, but mostly what you'll hear is: Nice Woodpile !

Not really, it is in tall corn cribs which if any wind the wood gets wet in rain or covered in snow.

Never covered any wood or gone to the effort to put it up on an additional base. The wood gets crackling dry without any cover, and last seasons bark and small wood chips are raked into a line and make a decent base to stack the next seasons wood on.

Corey

This is my first year in the wood game, but I'm using our screened in porch to hold the wood that I'm burning now. It's kinda run down, but it keeps the wood dry.

I also have a secondary "pile" that I have in a makeshift wood shed for now. There's a minimal roof over that wood as well.

I have enough in the breezeway for at least 8 weeks burning and the rest is in the side yard with the tops tarped. Might change my strategy when the heavy snows hit and cover it completely, but the rows are over 4 ft high and might be a bit hard to cover 'completely'.

bout 16 cords
12 cords cut/split stacked just the top covered.
4 cords rounds/ cut/ not split /not covered (only 5 months old).

I'll let my wood dry in the open all summer til' bout late October and then cover the top.
We keep bout 1/2 cord on the back porch w/roof ready to come in.

Status
Not open for further replies.