Poll: How many years of wood to you have 'ready to go'?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

How many years are you ahead on wood?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

NH_Wood

Minister of Fire
Dec 24, 2009
southern NH
Hi all,

On a different current thread, a few posts discussed how many years ahead most folks get in terms of wood. So....thought a poll might be fun. So......question 1) should we let Dennis answer? ;-P Okay - the real question: how many years ahead are you on wood storage (in other words, not cords, but years for your wood burning needs). Perhaps we should limit this to c/s/s wood on property, rather than 'downed trees in woods waited to get bucked'. I'll attempt to add the poll now - first time, so hopefully it'll work! Cheers!

I put down 2, it may be 1.5. It is my first year burning so I think I am doing prettty well. Probably burned 4 cords and have 8 cords left.

Depending on how much I sell or give away, at least 5 years ahead. But it's hard to count for sure because I've got wood stacks all over, some a mile or so away. I could be considerably more than 5 years ahead without knowing it.

You should have added one more selection for the chicken today, feathers tomorrow folks.

- none, we're busting up the furniture as we speak.

or:
- why? we cut it down today and burn it tomorrow.

J/K... I voted 2 years ahead.

two years ahead now will have the 3rd by may 1st. I hope

LLigetfa said:
You should have added one more selection for the chicken today, feathers tomorrow folks.

or:

LOL. I just burned my 2 inch solid pine computer desk. My desktop is on the floor as I write this.

Andrew

How long have you been here, you should know better than burning pine!! :)

Swedishchef said:
LLigetfa said:

or:

LOL. I just burned my 2 inch solid pine computer desk. My desktop is on the floor as I write this.

Andrew

2 after I get done burning this season and hope to be 3 by the spring/summer.

I'm two years ahead. Next year's wood has been split and stacked since last spring. The year after next's supply is all in the round still waiting to be split, but I have it on hand.

I'll be scrounging this summer and splitting this fall for winter '12-'13.

-Sf

Two years ahead, but only a part time-time burner with a small house, so that means a little more than 3 cords total.

Ok NH_Wood, I'll answer but not tell how many years ahead I am but I did check 4 or more. You can guess from there.

Interesting. As I am posting there has been 58 answered the poll. 13 of these are 3 years or more ahead. For some, it is time to get out there and cut a bit more. I still plan on cutting a little bit more if the body heals. I have some small stuff (cherry and maple) I want to cut around some wild apple trees to let in more sunlight and then I have a few small oaks I want out because they are monkeying up a couple shooting lanes. They are in good hunting areas and where I want to hang treestands. But, if it doesn't get done we are okay. I'll just wait for the snow melt and then start splitting.

Backwoods Savage said:
Ok NH_Wood, I'll answer but not tell how many years ahead I am but I did check 4 or more. You can guess from there.

Interesting. As I am posting there has been 58 answered the poll. 13 of these are 3 years or more ahead. For some, it is time to get out there and cut a bit more. I still plan on cutting a little bit more if the body heals. I have some small stuff (cherry and maple) I want to cut around some wild apple trees to let in more sunlight and then I have a few small oaks I want out because they are monkeying up a couple shooting lanes. They are in good hunting areas and where I want to hang treestands. But, if it doesn't get done we are okay. I'll just wait for the snow melt and then start splitting.

I am kinda where you are I think I will plow out a staging area tomorrow and start splitting the 20 cords I have on hand.

I accidentally cast a vote for 1 year (the default vote, I guess) but should have said three or more. it helps a lot that I don't have a stove, so haven't burned any this year. I guess my calculation should be 12 cords on hand/0 cords burned per year = way ahead. I expect to burn about 4 cords a year starting next fall.

SlyFerret said:
I'm two years ahead. Next year's wood has been split and stacked since last spring. The year after next's supply is all in the round still waiting to be split, but I have it on hand.

I'll be scrounging this summer and splitting this fall for winter '12-'13.

-Sf

I am in exactly the same situation as SF.

I have a little left over this year.

Too much for next year
but way behind on the year after.

I have way to many projects for this year that will eat into my wood cutting time this Spring, so I'm hoping for mild Winters.
Or my back to stop hurting so I can split what I've cut. (I really do not like stacking rounds)

I checked 1 even though it is starting to look like this spring I will be cutting a lot of what I am going to be burning in the 2010-2011 winter. Luckily most of what I have lined up for next year will be red maple and should season pretty well in that short of time. I'll be pretty busy this spring trying to get 1 year ahead at least.

rdust said:
2 after I get done burning this season and hope to be 3 by the spring/summer.

Pretty much the same here, except I'll be working on the 3rd year stuff either in the fall or early winter of this year.
Then, I think I have enough logs left for 1 more year, but need to either add another row in the field where my other stuff is, or find another spot for it.
Also looking to cut about 4-5 maple on the property that are looking sickly. Also have 2 pines that came down in a wind storm that I need to finish up.
Hmmm, maybe I SHOULD start back up in the spring, or better yet, RIGHT NOW! :)

But if the winters are like this one 2.5.
We had a milder winter temps this year, hopefully it becomes the "norm"
Could be 1.5, if winter hits the cold records thru the season.
+ I'm always looking to get more, so by the end of summer I should be even farther ahead.

18 cord split makes me a solid 2 at my current burn rate. I'm hoping that Tyvek, foam board and siding over the next few months will make that 18 good for 3 yrs.

With the 7-8 face cord left from this year and the load of logs that I cut up plus what I have cut and split in the woods I have 2 years.

Working on the 3rd year real soon.

zap

Not yet a full year ahead with cut and split and stacked wood. I do have enough logs for the next couple of years ready to cut and split and a couple whole trees piled up plus quite a few down in the woods that need to be cleaned up. Seems like I can't get it done fast enough in the time I have to get much ahead.

I finished the 10/11 wood last week. This is the farthest ahead I have ever been since we bought the house in '03. I have about a cord of Oak to split and stack for 11/12. Too may hours at work, the snow, and my newly diagnosed Achilles tendinitis isn't helping my scrounging any. I might have a thing with a not too far away tree service. If that pans out, I should be 2+ years out by summer.

A little over 6 cord c/s/s. Enough for 2 years, gave or take...

Attachments

• DSC00035.jpg
    DSC00035.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 208
Status
Not open for further replies.