Poll: How many years of wood to you have 'ready to go'?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

How many years are you ahead on wood?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
At the start of the burning season I was 4 years ahead and now I'm getting down to 3 years (9-10 cords). I think 3 years is more than enough for me, I just don't have enough room for much more. I can keep 2 years worth in my woodshed and I have a small out of sight wood processing area where I can keep another year or so and get it ready to refill the shed as I go. I'm just about done splitting, been picking at it all winter little by little, good exercise during the lazy winter months. I will be burning 95% Oak for the next 3 years.

I have at least 5 years worth of wood cut,split and stacked,most of which is Ash compliments of the Emerald Ash Borer.

I put down 3 years but I'm not sure either. I have previously been burning old hardwood fencing and railway sleepers (doesn't get any more seasoned than those!) and this coming winter (I'm Down Under) will be the first with "normal" firewood ie felled / bucked / split / stacked / seasoned.

I have a large range of species and sizes and stacking methods (north / south vs east / west ricks vs Holz Hausen) I'm experimenting with so will know a lot more accurately after this winter. They've had 2 summers and should be pretty good. I only burn over night so it's only a few cords I'm talking about.

I did some measuring of wood piles yesterday. If I don't get rid of any more wood we have enough to go a little over 6 years.

Backwoods Savage said:
Ok NH_Wood, I'll answer but not tell how many years ahead I am but I did check 4 or more. You can guess from there.

Interesting. As I am posting there has been 58 answered the poll. 13 of these are 3 years or more ahead. For some, it is time to get out there and cut a bit more. I still plan on cutting a little bit more if the body heals. I have some small stuff (cherry and maple) I want to cut around some wild apple trees to let in more sunlight and then I have a few small oaks I want out because they are monkeying up a couple shooting lanes. They are in good hunting areas and where I want to hang treestands. But, if it doesn't get done we are okay. I'll just wait for the snow melt and then start splitting.

Ha! I knew you wouldn't be able to eventually post the numbers! Thanks for responding everyone - looks like two years ahead is the most typical. I'm with one of the other posters - no stove yet, so pretty far ahead on wood. I'm really hoping for no more than 5 cord per year - by end of spring I should be 4 years ahead. But.....if I'm anywhere near the poster who indicated that 18 cord meant 2 years ahead, I'll probably cry! I'm hoping those 18 cord were face cords! Cheers!

This is my first year back to burning, and I thought 2 cords would be plenty, but I have had the stove going pretty much 24/7 burning bought and scrounged wood, and have gone through almost 3 cords already. So, for next year I have 3 css, and will have 3 more in the next few weeks.

Only have room in the yard for a couple of years max. At least until the kids don't need it for playing in. Then I could probably fit in 6 years worth.

I'm only 1 year c/s/s. But I have next years rounds stacked in the splitting area and the timber for the following year is ready to be bucked. I have my c/s/s stack, several stacks of 16-18 inch long rounds, and probably another 7 cords in downed timber also stacked and ready for the rounds pile.

Not including this year, 2. This year's will be restocked by May.

Status
Not open for further replies.