POLL: Supplimental Alternative Heat (When did you start?)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

I’ve been heating with ’alternative’ fuel for:

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mo Heat

Mod Emeritus
Nov 18, 2005
St. Louis, Missouri
(I'm resurrecting this poll for newer members to weigh in.)

Poll Description:

How long have you been heating your home, at least partially, with a fuel 'slightly different' than most?

Alternative fuels are kind of hard for me to pin down exactly, but I think you know what I mean. Mostly I'm talking about fuels OTHER THAN natural gas, propane, and heating oil. This would include, but might not be limited to, wood, coal, geothermal, solar, other alternatives.

Please answer the POLL question based upon how many years, going backwards from today, you've been heating your home with alternative fuel.

If you need clarification before responding to the poll, ask a question by replying to this post.

Mo,

Hey, good to see you over here in the "real" new forum.

I guess I'd have to ask you about your pole. a little clarification just for fun.

When I was in my teens my parents heated first with a Reginald wood stove similar to a Jotul 602 for about 5 years, then switched to coal for another 5 years. Now, after a lot of years, I've come around to my father's way of thinking. I just purchased an Osburn 1800 insert and it's due to be here on Monday or Tuesday. I have around 5 cords of wood in the yard, but I think of the cords are for next year. I can't wait to get the stove and I know my wife will love it. She likes it warm and it's just too expensive to make it warm here in NY unless we have a stove.

I also have a downstairs room that's about 15x25 Plus an office that's 8x10 and I'v e been thinking that I should look into something like a Jotul 602, Vermont castings Aspen or a Morso 1410 or Morso 1410 coal. The other option is to install baseboard heat off the oil furnace (shudder). Plus if I put the stove downstairs, it will heat the first floor a bit on ~30degree days.

well, I'm off to feed the Majestic fireplace for now...it's rippin away sucking heat from the house.

Later,
Warren

Wow, I got side tracked... I never got to my point....

so how many years would you say I've been not burning fossil fuels...0 or 10?

Warren

I was wondering what you were working up to. Maybe its time for an Alzeimer's screening. :)

Daddy's stove don't count. We're not trying to impress our first girlfreind with daddy's Corvette (or '66 Ford Galaxy 500 in my case :). This is about self directed fuel destiny!

You should select: 'Less than one year'. :(

Sorry. Please, don't cheat. :)

That Galaxy was red wasn't it?

Powder blue. But I don't think they look much different from the back seat. :)

This is winter # 3 for the stove being the primary workhorse around here. The year before that. we ran the heatpump and gas furnace, but after the 1st bill (that was our first year in the house) I started burning a kerosene heater in the evenings the get the place good and warm before bed.

Does the forum also register repeat viewers? I visit forums again when there is a new posting, but can only vote once.

DavidV said:
This is winter # 3 for the stove being the primary workhorse around here. The year before that. we ran the heatpump and gas furnace, but after the 1st bill (that was our first year in the house) I started burning a kerosene heater in the evenings the get the place good and warm before bed.

So no "low" bills using the heatpump? We just had a new electric furnace and heatpump installed hoping it would reduce our winter bills. Hey, I can't run the stove 24/7 through the week. Some of us have to work;).

This is my second year with alternative heat if we can't count our youth. Maybe your right MO, maybe I didn't carry all those loads of wood into the basement and help with the splitting and hauling. Maybe through your therapy program, you can help me heal the emotional wounds of the night mom caught me with my first girfriend.

michael said:
DavidV said:

So no "low" bills using the heatpump? We just had a new electric furnace and heatpump installed hoping it would reduce our winter bills. Hey, I can't run the stove 24/7 through the week. Some of us have to work;).

This is my second year with alternative heat if we can't count our youth. Maybe your right MO, maybe I didn't carry all those loads of wood into the basement and help with the splitting and hauling. Maybe through your therapy program, you can help me heal the emotional wounds of the night mom caught me with my first girfriend.

Not sure if I can help there. You may need medication for such a traumatic adolescent event. :)

Think of this pole like an income tax deduction. If your dad can claim it, you can't. :) Of couse, I don't do audits so there's little chance of being caught and possibly experiencing yet another emotionally traumatic event.

Michael. My heat pump and gas furnace are original to the house, circa 1987. I would expect a new heatpump to do much better.

David

first car 55 t-bird had to park it on a a hill and jump start it after that it was good for the day
Black no back seat whole new meaning to twist and shout

Started out with a wood burning Regency 5 years ago and loved it. Good heat but burn times were not the best. 2 years ago switched to a Haman TLC 2000 Coal/Wood stove. Now there is a STOVE. Fantastic burn times and heat like I have never seen. We have on occation had to open a few windows and doors to cool down. You get a few funny looks when you have the front door and patio door open at -40 but that's OK. last year it cost us a little over $100.00 dollars for coal. Most of our friend's spend $125 -$160 per month on Natural Gas. :ahhh: So I am very happy with the stove.:lol:

Right now I've got almost 2 long tons of coal in the bin. Just waiting for the COLD. So far its been to warm to burn coal so a little wood does nicely.

I don't think you can touch coal down here anymore for less than $200 a ton.

As for $125-$160 for nat gas. Per month? If I burned gas this winter I bet my bills would routinely top $1,000 per month at $1.32 per therm. What are you paying in Alberta?

Dylan said:
Hog,

WADR, with numbers such as that (ie., $100 for coal for a WHOLE winter), perhaps you should provide some perspective, such as: how big of a place are you heating?? How well insulated is it?? How warm are you keeping it?? How much does coal cost up there in Alberta??

Dylan

Hi Dylan,
I give up what is WADR?? Can't figure that one out. Any way.......

We got a 1300 sq.ft. bungalow. The basement is finished and Insulated. The house was built in 1962 but is a very solid home. I really could not tell you how well the walls are done because I have never had to tear into one. With the stove we have it keeps the upper floor at 75deg.f. with out even trying. Many a time it creeps on me to around 80deg.f. and then the wife gets a little "hot". Coal here is $34 per metric ton. (2200lbs) That is the bulk price as they do not bag it here. I know it is not the good stuff from down in the USA but it is what we have here and it burns great. We put the thermostat at 65deg.f. just in case the stove goes out but that does not happen very often. So Natural gas is just for hot water. Last year they sent out a guy to check the meter because our usage was way down. As soon as the fellow saw the stove He just nodded and said that is the reason right there. Wrote something down and we never heard about it again. I just love that! :lol:

Eric Johnson said:
I don't think you can touch coal down here anymore for less than $200 a ton.

As for $125-$160 for nat gas. Per month? If I burned gas this winter I bet my bills would routinely top $1,000 per month at $1.32 per therm. What are you paying in Alberta?

Right now the price is between $7.50 and $8.00 per Gigajoule. I think. One Gigajoule is equal to 9.478134 Therms. That price is what they pay and is an average.They pay that amount ALL year long. Our budget Plan is $89 per month. It just went up $10.00 and that upset me :coolgrin: Wood up here is going for $300 to $400 per cord. So I am really happy with what we got.

Update: Just got a gas bill. The per gigajoule rate is now $12.743 That adds up fast.

I started in 1992 with a medium Regency freestanding. Always like the heat and the ambiance of a fire. Lady's like it too.

Built a new house in WV and went with the big Regency. Last two girlfriends had VC stoves that I tought them to use and brought them the wood. They get addicted fast.

I tell ya one thing, I will never buy another stove without the grates on the bottom with the ashpan underneath. Shoveling out the Regency every morning was kinda of drag.

I just installed a WoodStock Keystone. I actually enjoy cutting and splitting the wood. I use a maul and its a great workout.

i started the winter of 03, bought a new harman and a new log spliter and was off!, 2100 sq ft house built in 1998 with electric heat,the additonal heating bill for all winter is about 100$, it cost more to cool the place!

Not burning for heat yet. Right now I have an older 6 SEER electric heat pump. Average electric bill during the heating season, $330-360, and the place doesn't even feel warm!!!!. Why did they ever install heat pumps in the Northeast??? It was stupid. That's is why I'm looking at ripping out my pre-fab, non-heat producing fireplace and putting something that will actually reduce that bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.