Polling everyones input on what they burn and how long they season it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

How long do you season your wood(for next burning season), post details in thread.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hogwildz said:
myzamboni said:
I burn what I can scrounge. Right now that is pine/fir/spruce. I try to season for a year, because in addition to it being low moisture, it keeps me out there getting wood so I am a year ahead.

Where I am at, the pine is ready in 6 months (look at the stove I run and you see why . . .smaller splits)

Serious question? Does it get cold, or I should ask, how cold does it get out in Silicon Valley?
Love the Rollins avatar btw ;) Henry rocks and is a crazy MOFO.

30s at night (sometimes 20s). I only burn evenings/weekends.

Backroads, Half Moon Bay is colder than where I am (on the other side of that mountain). The Bay Area is chock full of microclimates. In the summer it can be almost 40 degrees warmer at my house than in Half Moon bay (33 miles apart by road)

http://tinyurl.com/5syn7m

Oak and ash ... it's all i got around here.
Seasoned as long as i can ... at least a year.
Tried Pine once, too much noise.
I try to keep it all splits, as rounds don't want to burn very well for me.
I use scrap lumber to start and make my own fire starters from sawdust and candle wax.
If an ember pops through the firescreen, my dog is on it in an instant.
She thinks it is a treat.

LEES WOOD-CO said:
90% Beech and 10% Yellow Birch and Oak. I'm sellective because I can be.

Holding onto 2500 plus cords, ya I guess you could be selective :smirk:

Burning this year about half soft maple, the other half a mixture of beech, black birch and rock maple.

This year, it'll be seasoned about 6 months by winter, but I'm hoping to get a couple cords of rock maple stacked up behind my barn this fall for use next year.

Ok, Here goes

White Oak
Red Oak
Hackberry
Mulberry
Maple
Pine
Poplar
Walnut
Cherry
Shagbark Hickory
Sassafras