1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Poly Chimney Brush

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by CW1, Oct 22, 2013.

1. CW1

CW1 New Member

Loc:
    PA
    I'm looking to clean my stainless steel chimney liner myself this year and need a recommendation for a 6" brush. Considering the Rutland PB-6P50 or the PB series. Anyone have experience with these or other brushes that are recommended?

Thanks, Chris

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. JTP11

JTP11 Member

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    I picked up the Rutland 6" poly brush (not sure the model #) for my SS liner from Home Depot. I'm sure the winter stuff is on the shelves by now. Works good for me.

I opted to make my own brush shaft out of some 1" PVC conduit. 3-10' sections cost about $1.10 each.
  3. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    The new darling on the scene is the "soot eater". Quite flexible and can often mean a cleaning from the stove up (no roof climbs). That said - the poly has been around for a long time and is pretty effective also.
  4. BoilerMan

BoilerMan Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern Maine
    I have always used a poly brush from the roof once-a-year with 100% success! Mine is a Rutland from ACE

TS
  5. Elle

Elle Member

Loc:
    North East Pennsylvania
    Is the soot eater the only way to clean from the bottom? I guess the poly brushes might get stuck?
  6. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    I think it has more to do with the rods. Quite flexible and is run will a drill for a "weed whacker" type motion.
  7. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Never had one get stuck yet except..... One fall we got a call early in the morning asking if we could help. The house was full of smoke. Well, the chimney was plugged and I do mean plugged. Took a lot of work and we thought we might lose that brush but after much tugging and pulling, we got it out. That one was a tough job on a very steep pitched roof and the roof was galvanized.... Scary up there!
    Elle likes this.
  8. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Nope . . . I clean my chimney from the bottom-up with a poly brush . . . straight shot to the top . . . never got it stuck.
    Elle likes this.
  9. Elle

Elle Member

Loc:
    North East Pennsylvania
    good to know. I'll go ahead and order one then. Took a look see up the chimney the other day and there's some ash in there so... might give it a whirl.