Poly or Wire Brush?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CRE10

Dec 23, 2014
NW, MO
Which one and why? Or use both?

I have double wall on the inside and then Supervent stainless chimney pipe.

OMG. Great timing on this thread! I was just at Tractor Supply about 1/2 an hour ago and saw they offered Poly and Wire brushes. I ended up going with the Poly brush as it was more expensive, so in theory it should be better? Interested to hear what others have to say on this.

general consensus is that wire gets the pipe cleaner but poly is safer on the pipe. Others mileage may vary. Many stainless pipe manufacturers say NOT to use wire - or at least that is what I have heard. I use wire because it is what I have and cannot see that it would significantly shorten my chimneys life with one or two runs a yr.

The other thing is there are different types of poly brushes and some are much stiffer than others and near impossible to reverse in the pipe which can be a total PIA.

we use soft bristle stainless brushes on most stainless liners but it is a safer bet to go with poly you should never use a regular steel brush in a stainless pipe.

Eye roll..............Here we go, yet again.........:rolleyes:

I read it, and posted my opinion. If you don't like it, don't read it.
Yes use the search. No, would not be stagnant, what is stagnant is the same questions that has been asked over, and over, and over for years on end.
that, is stagnant. The search area is there for a reason, and I assure you it would not be there if it was perceived to make the forum stagnant.
Why don't ya ask if a about Cat Vs. Non cat stoves while your at it. Don't think that subject has been breached quite a thousand times over yet.

Actually, if you do the search, you will find that hogwildz offers a lot of good advice. That said, your question brings to attention a popular topic and reintroduces the wire vs poly for those that may not be thinking about it, but will now. Anyways, went with a poly for my new 6" steel liner for my wood fired Jotul. I don't think it did a great job but was concerned about tearing up the liner with the steel over time. I'm half thinking of now trying the soot eater to really get into the grooves.

I read it, and posted my opinion. If you don't like it, don't read it.
Yes use the search. No, would not be stagnant, what is stagnant is the same questions that has been asked over, and over, and over for years on end.
that, is stagnant. The search area is there for a reason, and I assure you it would not be there if it was perceived to make the forum stagnant.
Why don't ya ask if a about Cat Vs. Non cat stoves while your at it. Don't think that subject has been breached quite a thousand times over yet.
Aww. Smile, it's Friday and a New Year. If you hate the content here then why do you read threads?

I'm a member on many forums and each time a topic is discussed there can be new insight and opinions. Once again if it bothers you then don't read it.

If "use the search" is the standard response why even allow new threads?

Don't ya think new members asking questions and interacting with older members is a good thing? Discussion, getting to know each other, learning, sharing experiences, reminding people of things they've never thought of etc. I dunno maybe that's not what forums are for???

Last edited:
I said what I have to say. None of which said anything about hating content.
The beauty is, I can read or not read what I choose. I can also respond or not respond, also, as I choose.

Most searches are for standard questions, such as this one. Actually, this is the perfect example of why to use the search.
But never the less, the questions will pop up again, and receive all sorts of answers, again.

You being a member of many forums, I would expect you know this already.
You want to rinse & repeat, have at it.
Let me know what new insight & opinions from those already stated over the years, you have come across.
Welcome to the Hearth

I said what I have to say. None of which said anything about hating content.
The beauty is, I can read or not read what I choose. I can also respond or not respond, also, as I choose.

Most searches are for standard questions, such as this one. Actually, this is the perfect example of why to use the search.
But never the less, the questions will pop up again, and receive all sorts of answers, again.

You being a member of many forums, I would expect you know this already.
You want to rinse & repeat, have at it.
Let me know what new insight & opinions from those already stated over the years, you have come across.
Welcome to the Hearth
Heck if people aren't supposed to start threads then why even register as a member. Everything is already here to read right?

I'm on many gun, hunting, chainsaw, and truck forums. Not all long term members are rude to new members. Everyone was a newbe at one time, even you bud! :)

Rude? Obviously you don't know me well. There are those here that know what me being realistic, and me being rude are.
Obviously, your well seasoned memberships on all those manly forums you belong to, have not thickened your skin much, Bud.
So sorry to see you get your panties in a bunch.

Again, I said nothing about not starting threads.
Seems you're one of those, that like to stir the pot, then put words in others mouths, to prove some kind of point or argument.
Sorry, Bud! Not gonna happen here.
I see em come and go, every year. Some stay, and contribute, fewer stay and like to stir the pot, and many more hit and run and disappear.
I suggest you stop attempting to put words out as from me, to further your view, and instead thicken your skin, or simply take the advice on a search.
I was not being rude, until you asked for it, but have still been pretty mild.

As to answer your original question:
I have both, and have used both. I have also contacted the manufacturer of my lining system, at the time DurVent. The tech advised either is fine, and neither would harm the liner.
From my own experience, the poly does not clean as well, and is stiffer to get through the flex area. And cannot be used while the stove is in use or piping is hot. The steel cleans very well, is much more flexible and does not get hung up on any tight spots. I still use one or the other, depending on which I find closer at the time of use.

There are many on here that use one or the other, swear by them, and have their own preferred one to use. So if you're looking for a definitive answer, call your pipe manufacturer and ask them directly.

Yes I was a newb as you put it, at one time. And I also didn't give those attempting to give me direction, attitude, or disrespect.
I am done with this, and you. You may go.

Last edited:
Rude? Obviously you don't know me well. There are those here that know what me being realistic, and me being rude are.
Obviously, your well seasoned memberships on all those manly forums you belong to, have not thickened your skin much, Bud.
So sorry to see you get your panties in a bunch.

Again, I said nothing about not starting threads.
Seems you're one of those, that like to stir the pot, then put words in others mouths, to prove some kind of point or argument.
Sorry, Bud! Not gonna happen here.
I see em come and go, every year. Some stay, and contribute, fewer stay and like to stir the pot, and many more hit and run and disappear.
I suggest you stop attempting to put words out as from me, to further your view, and instead thicken your skin, or simply take the advice on a search.
I was not being rude, until you asked for it, but have still been pretty mild.

As to answer your original question:
I have both, and have used both. I have also contacted the manufacturer of my lining system, at the time DurVent. The tech advised either is fine, and neither would harm the liner.
From my own experience, the poly does not clean as well, and is stiffer to get through the flex area. And cannot be used while the stove is in use or piping is hot. The steel cleans very well, is much more flexible and does not get hung up on any tight spots. I still use one or the other, depending on which I find closer at the time of use.

There are many on here that use one or the other, swear by them, and have their own preferred one to use. So if you're looking for a definitive answer, call your pipe manufacturer and ask them directly.

Yes I was a newb as you put it, at one time. And I also didn't give those attempting to give me direction, attitude, or disrespect.
I am done with this, and you. You may go.
Thanks bud. I hope you have a good weekend. Thank you for your help on my question, your clarification on you as a person, and your forum advice for me. No hard feelings, have a great evening.

we use soft bristle stainless brushes on most stainless liners but it is a safer bet to go with poly you should never use a regular steel brush in a stainless pipe.

Bholler when you say "most stainless liners" are you also referring to light-wall flex liners or only heavy wall?

Bholler when you say "most stainless liners" are you also referring to light-wall flex liners or only heavy wall?
We use the stainless bristle brushes on all ss liners but the double layer smooth wall crap.

Heck if people aren't supposed to start threads then why even register as a member. Everything is already here to read right?

I'm on many gun, hunting, chainsaw, and truck forums. Not all long term members are rude to new members. Everyone was a newbe at one time, even you bud! :)
I see this crap all the time on other forums time and time again, too lazy to do a search, and it is not polite to point guns

The other thing is there are different types of poly brushes and some are much stiffer than others and near impossible to reverse in the pipe which can be a total PIA.

...getting back on topic... As I mentioned on Friday, I picked up a poly brush for my flue. Turns out BobUrban was right. Total PITA to try and get that brush turned around in the pipe. I ended up taking some nippers and removed bits of the ends of each bristle on the brush until it fit snugly, but could still be reversed. Seemed to clean up just fine.

I've been using a wire brush on my homesaver pro liner for 10+ years now with no issues. I usually brush it a couple times a season and it takes me all of 5-10 minutes to complete. I went with the metal brush because quite often I brush the liner while the stove is still going other than the end of the season cleanout.

Status
Not open for further replies.