Pond Pump Problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bcnu

Dec 1, 2006
I have a Flotec 1/2 horse, 8gpm, pump to pull water out of a shallow pond(3-5 feet) for watering lawn and garden. Works at 30-50 psi range. Last year it would get to 28-30 psi and pump all the water we needed. Started it up this year and I get to 28 psi right away - but as soon as I put a load on it - it drops to 10 psi. I barely opened a spigot 20 feet away and it drop immediately. The pump is sitting on top of a pressure tank and I wonder if the tank might be the problem(or solution). Wondering if the tank is not pressurzing (or whatever it does) correctly.

Should add that the pump is new this year but the same model as last year. Had to replace as I failed to drain all the water out of the pump and the motor housing cracked sightly. Replaced a bit of the pvc - but not to the tank. Now I'm wondering if the freeze in the pump could have affected the pressure tank. Don't see how but don't really know anything about them.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Thanks for the reply A B. Kept working on it - and fortunately, my SIL was able to trouble shoot. We adjusted the pressure tank and also found a leak in the line. Now we can run three or four sprinklers and the pump is running closer to 40 psi. Just in time for the string of 90+ days we are having. :coolsmile:

Glad to hear it worked out, now could you run a line up to Alberta? So dry here that they are claiming an Agricultural Disaster. Not sure what that means, but I am sure it will have me paying some more taxes...

Status
Not open for further replies.