Ponderosa Pine bark chipping tool

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Montanalocal

Minister of Fire
Dec 22, 2014
Helena MT
For all you folks out West here that are harvesting dead beetle-killed Ponderosa pine, you have probably figured out by now that it is best to chip off as much bark as possible out in the woods, to avoid having mounds of loose bark accumulate in your splitting area.

The question then becomes, what is the best way to do this. Like probably most of you, I started out using a hatchet. However, I went to the pictured tool that has a crosswise blade. I think this works much better, because you can get a chopping and prying motion with a single blow. I do not know what it is, I picked it up a a junk shop many years ago.

If I did not have this, I would probably fabricate something like it by taking one of my old pulaskis, cutting the handle down so I could use it one-handed, and perhaps slicing off the axe portion. What do you think?

100_1274.JPG 100_1276.JPG 100_1282.JPG 100_1306.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Lakeside
Looks like a mattock with a broken blade.

It is not a mattock and it definitely is not broken. The handle, which appears to be original, is only 17 inches long, making it a one handed tool. There is an oriental looking symbol cast into the head. I have never seen anything quite like it. I am guessing it was some sort of gardening tool.

Unfortunately right around where I live it is almost exclusively Ponderosa. There are Lodge Pole further away, but they are higher up and harder to get to.

100_1314.JPG 100_1316.JPG 100_1279.JPG

Could try the folks at the museum ... they may have a tool with the same markings with a known history or might be able to put you on the path on how to identify what it was exactly and who made it.
http://mhs.mt.gov/Museum/Collections

Edit: Where did you get the tool? Might be a clue...

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up on the museum. I will check it out. I cut out the symbol and did a search on Tineye and other image reverse-lookup sites. No hits.

As you and I have chatted about in another thread I dont harvest the Ponderosa as its to far for me to get and I have lots of Lodgepole 5 minutes away. (opposite from your situation). With Larch I will often 'zip' or score the bark lengthwise with my chainsaw before bucking and it will often peal off nicely. It seems to get easier the older the tree is. Have you tried that with Ponderosa? Both trees seem to have a thick bark so it might work on ponderosa as well. The way you do it seems to work great by looking at those nice clean rounds in your truck. Well done! Bark on my lawn drives me nuts unless its birch then the family and I like to watch it curl in the fire pit!

That tool is a gold miners pick. Also the markings on it look like that pick with gold nuggets. My dad was a geologist and I remember he had a tool like that laying around when I was a kid.

It's a pick axe. I have a smaller one I use for the same thing I bought at home depot. They are found in the gardening tools section near shovels, hoes and rakes, etc.

I discovered yesterday that a scwrench works just as well when I was out in the forest and forgot my small pickax-debarker.

Status
Not open for further replies.