Poo power progresses

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
This is more interesting that I expected compared to past "poo power" type headlines. It sounds like a fairly generic biomass-to-liquid process, so if it works with septic waste, it could potentially also work with other forms of biomass.

The volume they're talking about is relatively small - 30 million barrels per year is equivalent to less than 2 days of the US oil demand, but that's not strictly a problem, just the upper limit.

There's a lot of power in poo. I toured a sewage plant when I lived in Missoula and they would floculate the poo and put in an anaerobic tank to heat the buildings with the methane. The they would send the remnants over the wall to eco compost.

Looks like the city of Vancouver is going to give this a trial run. I hope to check it out some day.
http://www.geekwire.com/2016/poop-power-vancouver-b-c-will-test-biofuel-made-sewage/
There's a lot of power in poo. I toured a sewage plant when I lived in Missoula and they would floculate the poo and put in an anaerobic tank to heat the buildings with the methane. The they would send the remnants over the wall to eco compost.
King County Solid Waste runs a 1mW fuel cell at its Renton processing plant off of methane gathered by 4 huge anaerobic digesters filled with sewer sludge.

Reactions: rwhite
Nice article and description of the tech. They argue costs will be low due to simple oil/water separation, but do not provide figures. The feedstock is free.

The other thing I liked: recovery of the phosphate, a currently critical and non-renewable element, reducing our consumption of fossil....poo.

Last edited by a moderator:
On a similar note, DH just toured the False Creek District Energy plant in Vancouver which is a sewage source heat pump. Pretty cool. He says "Takes a minimum of 110 l/s of sewage at 25° and cools it by 5°.... that supplies nearly 5000 apartment units + science world with hot water...Not sure what their hydro consumption is. Their product is fractionally cheaper than hydro per kwh but more expensive than natural gas." Let's see if I can figure out how to add pics on iPad...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: iamlucky13
9ec34228bb78b212b878b8c852a2cd5e.jpg472c8af980180e53aeb2da939025d7a6.jpg

Fingers crossed...

Reactions: iamlucky13
I installed a heat exchanger system in a professional photo lab that preheated incoming water going to the processors with the outgoing heated rinse water. It was so successful that it paid for itself in less than 6 months and gave the lab a large competitive edge. Although their order volume went up a magnitude, their gas bill stayed the same.