Poor Man's Ash Pan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay H

Nov 20, 2006
NJ
I'm thinking of modifying my ash scooper to something similar to the one that was linked to here, except since I personally don't need a hot-ash ashpan, I'm thinking of doing the following. Wondering if anybody has done this.

ingredients:
1) aluminum "dust pan"
2) piece of either a thin aluminum board or perhaps clear lexan cut to the size of the dust pan
3) metal angle bracket, at about a 45deg angle (or perhaps made using stiff 10gauge copper wire)
4) another length of 10-12gauge copper wire (insulated preferred).
5) glue (gorilla glue or equivalent)

Cut the piece of aluminum or lexan to fit the top of the dust pan.. Cut the piece slighly larger than the dustpan size to allow for clearance.
Glue the angle bracket to the back of the piece you cut
place the piece and bracket to the dustpan and use the wire length to wrap the piece around the handle of the dustpan. A rubber band can be used as a temporary placement for testing purposes before final assembly.

If you want to be fancy, you can see if you can shape the dustpan itself to remove any openings and if you can mount the piece on a hinge and not use a wire, all the better. I'm thinking a piece of lexan is good so you can see through it and perhaps a small LED flashlight mounted to it would make it fancy.

Not as good as the paid one but cheaper and can be made with pieces found in the trash/recycling. I don't have continuous fires so I don't remove hot ash, so I don't need metal, one can even use a basic plastic dustpan you can buy at a dollar store for this purpose... or perhaps cover it with aluminum foil.

I'm going to try this soon,but I've been brainstorming..

I am currently using a large cat litter box with a handle on it as my ashpan. Like I said, no hot ashes for me.

Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.