1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Poor man's (pellet stove) gold kit....

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by imacman, Aug 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imacman

imacman Guest

Well, decided that I was going to save some $$ for future pellet buying, and wanted to dress up the Avalon Astoria I bought this summer, so off to HD I went, and bought a can of gold spray paint. Some careful disassembly, sanding, cleaning, and spraying later, and here's the results. Yeah, it's not 24K gold, but doesn't look too bad......

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    I think it looks fantastic.
  3. stoveguy2esw

stoveguy2esw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    madison hgts. va
    i hope you checked the specs of your paint and checked with the manufacturer or at least took temp readings first, if not you may have a problem keeping the finish you worked so hard for.

dont get me wrong , i think it looks pretty good actually. im just hoping the finish you used can take the temperatures.
  4. imacman

imacman Guest

Yeah, I thought about that too. The can says it's good to 200 degrees F. Hey, worst thing that can happen is that it looks good until Oct-Nov, and then if there's an issue, I'll strip it off, and repaint w/ black stove paint.
  5. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    If they have a problem then they can re-do it with Stove Bright Gold paint next time. Costs 12 bucks a can and is good to 1,200 degrees. The brown version hasn't been affected by the 30-NC doing its thing.

On my old stove it didn't vaporize until it got to 1,185 degrees.
  6. imacman

imacman Guest

I never knew there was a high heat gold paint....Brother Bart, can you provide the name of a place that sells it?
  7. itworks

itworks New Member

Loc:
    Southwestern CT
    As others have said I hope the paint you used stands up to the stove's temperatures, but I think it looks great. Do you make house calls?
  8. Xena

Xena Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Shore MA
  9. imacman

imacman Guest

Thanks Zeta.....I guess Brother Bart was busy. I finally did the Google thing too. The best price I got was $9.10 a can. Hey, that's cheap for "hot" gold!!! LOL

Thanks

MM
  10. imacman

imacman Guest

Sure! Now, let me see....$12.00 for high heat gold spray paint, gas is $3.79 gal for the car, so round trip would be around 400 miles, labor, sandpaper, masking tape, and ..............aw, the heck with it, just give me a ton of pellets and we'll call it even!!! LOL
  11. Shortstuff

Shortstuff Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Southeastern MA
    That really looks good!

Steve
  12. pelletfan

pelletfan Member

Loc:
    NY
    Heya..
    Like your creativity and courage to change the looks of your stove.
  13. imacman

imacman Guest

Thanks everybody....I just decided that "plain all black" just wasn't going to cut it....hey, I have to look at this thing everyday!
  14. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    It amazes me how many people don't paint their stoves. The same paint the manufacturers use is available at most stove shops and easily available online. One of the local stove stores paints several of their display stoves different tasteful colors and those are the ones that sell first.

Painted the Englander wood stove and did the burn in before it ever came in the house.
  15. Wet1

Wet1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    USA
    Sorry to be a jerk, but it looks like $2 gold spray paint...
  16. imacman

imacman Guest

That's OK...somebody has to be the one....

I guess you didn't read the thread title......and for your info, the paint was $4.00 !!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.