Poor man's (pellet stove) gold kit....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

imacman

Well, decided that I was going to save some $$ for future pellet buying, and wanted to dress up the Avalon Astoria I bought this summer, so off to HD I went, and bought a can of gold spray paint. Some careful disassembly, sanding, cleaning, and spraying later, and here's the results. Yeah, it's not 24K gold, but doesn't look too bad......

Attachments

• Astoria1.JPG
    Astoria1.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 584
  • Astoria3.JPG
    Astoria3.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 589
  • Astoria4.JPG
    Astoria4.JPG
    22.9 KB · Views: 619
I think it looks fantastic.

i hope you checked the specs of your paint and checked with the manufacturer or at least took temp readings first, if not you may have a problem keeping the finish you worked so hard for.

dont get me wrong , i think it looks pretty good actually. im just hoping the finish you used can take the temperatures.

Yeah, I thought about that too. The can says it's good to 200 degrees F. Hey, worst thing that can happen is that it looks good until Oct-Nov, and then if there's an issue, I'll strip it off, and repaint w/ black stove paint.

If they have a problem then they can re-do it with Stove Bright Gold paint next time. Costs 12 bucks a can and is good to 1,200 degrees. The brown version hasn't been affected by the 30-NC doing its thing.

On my old stove it didn't vaporize until it got to 1,185 degrees.

I never knew there was a high heat gold paint....Brother Bart, can you provide the name of a place that sells it?

As others have said I hope the paint you used stands up to the stove's temperatures, but I think it looks great. Do you make house calls?

itworks said:
As others have said I hope the paint you used stands up to the stove's temperatures, but I think it looks great. Do you make house calls?

Sure! Now, let me see....$12.00 for high heat gold spray paint, gas is $3.79 gal for the car, so round trip would be around 400 miles, labor, sandpaper, masking tape, and ..............aw, the heck with it, just give me a ton of pellets and we'll call it even!!! LOL

That really looks good!

Steve

Heya..
Like your creativity and courage to change the looks of your stove.

Shortstuff said:
That really looks good!

Steve

pelletfan said:
Heya..
Like your creativity and courage to change the looks of your stove.

Thanks everybody....I just decided that "plain all black" just wasn't going to cut it....hey, I have to look at this thing everyday!

It amazes me how many people don't paint their stoves. The same paint the manufacturers use is available at most stove shops and easily available online. One of the local stove stores paints several of their display stoves different tasteful colors and those are the ones that sell first.

Painted the Englander wood stove and did the burn in before it ever came in the house.

Wet1 said:
Sorry to be a jerk...

That's OK...somebody has to be the one....

Wet1 said:
but it looks like $2 gold spray paint...

I guess you didn't read the thread title......and for your info, the paint was $4.00 !!

Status
Not open for further replies.