Poor Man's Pulling Cone

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kingquad

Minister of Fire
Nov 17, 2010
Pennsylvania
Well, I figured I would post this because lots of people seem to be installing this time of year. I made this to help me pull my liner down my chimney. This was made with pieces I had laying around the house, but could be bought for less than $10 at a hardware store. This is a piece of track from a stainless steel wall stud system. I basically cut and bent it into the shape you see. I took an I bolt I had laying around and attached it at the top, and used some old 550 cord to pull it down the chimney. I rounded it were it seated against the inside of the liner and secured it to the liner with sheet metal screws. It took less than 5 minutes to pull my 5.5 inch liner down a 7x11in. I.D. chimney.

Attachments

• IMG_0282.jpg
    IMG_0282.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 555
  • IMG_0278.jpg
    IMG_0278.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 481
You can use a plastic funnel also.

Looks good.

Just mentioned this in a thread the other day, when I did mine I thought I could get it down there w/out one. That was a failure. Since everything was ready to go the quickest thing I could come up w/ was tying a rope around the center of a bath towel, shoved the towel into the liner, then wrapped the end of the liner w/ duct tape. Pulled down like a charm.

pen

kingquad and pen: Both very resourceful solutions. Nice....

Good ole "American ingenuity" + some duct tape ;)
I bet it worked fine. :)

Nice job. I think you'll find the stud is actually galvanized though ;-)
S.S. studs would cost a mint to make and sell.

Status
Not open for further replies.