Pop rivets, Rausch Sheet Metal, k-wool wrapped with chicken wire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Installer just came for bid. He said he doesn't use the big name liners, a local sheet metal company makes 26 guage SS liner, rigid that they have made the end of it oval which fits better. Crimpped connections. 5 foot of flexible to get through the damper area. Uses pop rivets, SS. I said that I wanted it lined. He said it would be really difficult, doesn't do insulated liners. He said he would check but if he did, it would be wood wrapped. I asked about double walled with insulation inbetween. He said they usually won't fit thru the clay opening up top.
Any thoughts???

woodsie8 said:
Installer just came for bid. He said he doesn't use the big name liners, a local sheet metal company makes 26 guage SS liner, rigid that they have made the end of it oval which fits better. Crimpped connections. 5 foot of flexible to get through the damper area. Uses pop rivets, SS. I said that I wanted it lined. He said it would be really difficult, doesn't do insulated liners. He said he would check but if he did, it would be wood wrapped. I asked about double walled with insulation inbetween. He said they usually won't fit thru the clay opening up top.
Any thoughts???

To get a guaranteed, UL Tested and Listed liner system go to the liner manufactures of UL Listed chimney liner systems. He cant give you a UL Listed liner that way.

Yep, that could be a problem. The installation manual for the stove is usually the Bible for inspectors and the one for the HI300 calls for a liner listed to UL 1777.

Edit: Hmmm... The manual requires UL 1777 for factory chimneys but seems mute on masonry.

woodsie8 said:
He told me it was UL listed and approved.

Then he should be able to provide proof of the UL listing. Which I doubt he can since I seriously doubt that a local sheet metal shop is going to go spend the time and money to get UL certification for the occasional sale of a chimney liner. It costs big bucks.

Add to that the fact the the only phone listing I can find for a business with the name Rausch in it in Oregon is a a videographer and I would be more than a little suspicious of this installer.

Status
Not open for further replies.