Pop,spark,smoke!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike D.

Mar 13, 2013
Central, MA
Wife fired up the Winslow today (insert that's freestanding at the moment). During the ignition cycle there was a ton of smoke pouring out of the back of the stove. I was trying to see where the smoke was coming from and there was a pop, lots of sparks, and it started. Anyone see anything like this before? It's running fine at the moment.

Sounds like you fried a fan motor, but then again it started working. Pop may have been a short someplace? Normally, a pop and sparks leads to a dead stove. Now, unless the pop was smoke igniting due to build up in the firebox and the delay?

Not sure, I let it cool down and cleaned it out yesterday. Started up fine in the evening. I'm wondering if something migrated into the igniter tube.

What sort of smoke ???

Wood/pellet smoke or electrical smelling smoke ???

Reactions: bcarton
Straight up wood/pellet smoke. That's why I'm thinking perhaps a pellet was lodged in the igniter tube. This is second time its happened and I'm stumped.

Delayed ignition. Seems to be a fair amount of it in the last week or so. Stoves and venting getting dirty and loose. Check the door seals, clean the exhaust fans and igniter areas again.

Status
Not open for further replies.