Poplar. (Possibly Japanese Poplar?)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hills Hoard

Minister of Fire
Mar 19, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
I'm looking at having 2 taken down on my property and was curious as to what its like to burn?

I would take the trees down myself but they are in a very delicate spot with the house, fence and power line.

At the least ,good shoulder season wood.
Best part, they're close to home :)

Reactions: Hills Hoard
If they are any type of Aspen (poplar etc) they are low on the btu chart, but I still burn it if it's in my yard..........heck I'll burn anything in my yard. As long as it's c/s/s and dry it's got heat in it. If it's anything like what we have up here, it does STINK when it's drying and burning!

TS

Should be ready to burn for next winter.

Hope your "this winter's wood" is ready to go.
You may need it in a month or so ;)
Getting cold yet?

Hope your "this winter's wood" is ready to go

I think i'm looking good bogydave....i have 3 main types of wood at various stages. but most is good to go. I anticipate having about 1/3 of my stock left over for next year...and of course I will be hoarding all winter for 2015!!...but my system for drying vs burning isn't ideal..l...next spring I am going to move my wood pile and come up with a better system.

But yes, it is getting cold, and fire restrictions have been lifted for out door fires...will be burning inside and out this weekend!!

PS. You've inspired me to send my wife a few hints about a holiday in Alaska. Thats a place I have to visit before I get old!!

Poplar is definitely for the shoulder season - if you burn it in the middle of winter you'll likely be disappointed.....and cold.

i had an arborist pop in and give a quote to take the to poplars down and he said 600 bucks....i think thats a killer deal...I picked his brain to learn more and he said poplars kill more tree climbers than any other tree cuz they can be snap happy...no pre warning of an impending break, random branches can just break. Also confirmed what you guys said about burning indoors. i think i'll stack them somewhere to season then use it for pit fires...we have too much good wood in my area to be bothering with burning indoors..

Thanks again for the advice guys. i'll get some shots of the offending trees later. i'm off for a mtb ride!

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Status
Not open for further replies.