popping- sign of wet wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iceisasolid

Jan 3, 2011
North Central Idaho
I don't have a moisture meter as of yet, but I imagine if I can see stuff bubbling out of the cut end of wood, then I probably don't need a meter. Some of my wood is really dry (so it seems) others are wet on the outside about 1 inch. When I load my wood, it pops and crackles something fierce for about 30 minutes. It is red fir. The person I bought the wood from cut it this summer from dead standing trees, but never covered the wood pile and I found out split it prior to delivering it. We have had a lot of moisture here in my neck of Idaho.

I can get my stove temps up to 500+ pretty easy and it stays plus 500 for a couple of hours then cruises at about 400-500 for a few more hours. Burn times are 8-12 hours (if you include only placing wood on a bed of hot coals to restart the stove). When it is time to reload there are lots of coals, which I burn down with small split wood every few loads prior to loading some more of the big splits.

I have 2 questions:

1. is the excessive intial popping/coaling due to moisture or does red for have this intrisic property?

2. Am I screwing up my newly replaced catalytic unit by burning wetter wood? This is my wood source for this season and I probably won't be needing to buy any more this season.

Thanks.
-Ray

Hi -

Popping: Some types of wood are more prone to popping. Resins in fir can/will pop when heated rapidly. 'nature of the beast...
I wouldn't sweat the wood being wet on the outside.

I'm not a cat user so I'll wait for guesses from folks who have experience!

ATB,
Mike

As ZZr7ky said many of the softwoods with pockets of resin tend to pop and snap . . . I almost hate to admit this, but sometimes when I am home during a cold, snowy weekend I'll actually put some pine, fir or spruce into my stove just for the snap, crackle and pop effect . . . on the flip side sometimes the sap hits the glass and leaves a sticky smear . . . until the secondary light show burns that away.

Status
Not open for further replies.