porcelain tiles for the pad

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, no problem. What stove will you be putting on the hearth pad?

I am going to put Harman P38. thanks for the quick reply, btw. I am trying to search for the post I saw a while ago - somebody put instruction with images on how to build a hearth pad. Could you suggest an easy 1-2-3 way and point to MUSTs? Should I leave space between tiles? Any special requirement to the mortar? Harman book doesn't have much of info. Only: Place the stove on a noncombustible floor protector that extends 6 inches to the front, 6 inches to the sides and 1 inch to the rear of the stove. The minimum floor protector material is 24 gauge sheet metal." Do I have to use 24 gauge sheet metal if I am going to build a pad?

No, you don't need metal in a non-combustible pad... the most common way to build is using plywood (or building a 2x4 frame if you wish for it to be elevated), cover this with concrete board, and use modified thinset to attach your tiles. You should look for solid-bodied porcelain tiles... they are able to hold up strength-wise. Other porcelain tile is glazed and can chip.

Moving to the pellet forum for more support there.

Have you visited the tile forum at www.johnbridge.com? Lots of good ideas and info there.

I used em' I also placed metal flashing underneth the tiles because I did not mortar them to the floor. The flashing is just a safety precaution for ash in seams of tile. But I keep them tight together with molding at the base.

Status
Not open for further replies.