porch floor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisasst

Minister of Fire
Aug 13, 2008
cortland ny
Which would be more beneficial.. I have about a 12 x 6 ( I think ) porch. front and side are open. I need a floor. I was going to use composite deck boards which would cost well over $100. Then yesterday, I thought I would use plywood which would cost under probably under $75. There was some sort of ply wood there that I ripped up. Should I just put down some PT sheets and call it a day?

You could use 3/4 PT plywood that it will work but it will hold water much longer and may even puddle. I would put down PT 2x6's and place them tight to each other and when they shrink it will leave a bit of a seam for water to drain down. Make sure that they have a slight pitch down away from the house. Cost should be right around 150 bucks using the 2x6's.

It rains here in the NW and I would never use a sheet of plywood for decking unless it was undercover and somehow protected. You'd need to paint it with some product which would add cost and then maintain that coating. Blah, use the comp lumber or PT lumber.

woodsman23 said:
You could use 3/4 PT plywood that it will work but it will hold water much longer and may even puddle. I would put down PT 2x6's and place them tight to each other and when they shrink it will leave a bit of a seam for water to drain down. Make sure that they have a slight pitch down away from the house. Cost should be right around 150 bucks using the 2x6's.

well, it is definetly not level, so no worries about the puddles....

I thought about the PT 2x6 but for around the same price, I can get composite deck boards,

well, just read some new articles on composite, and I might just stick to PT

Typically, moist conditions with sunlight beaming down onto the lumber creates cupping. Not certain how much PT lumber resists cupping but you might consider running the lengths with the slope in case cupping occurs. Whats the down falls of composite you are opposed too?

Status
Not open for further replies.