Porch storage solution

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BucksCoBernie

Feeling the Heat
Oct 8, 2008
Well instead of picking up another hoop I decided to make use of some of the pieces of wood i had laying around. i built this L shape holder to hold the thinner splits and will use the hoop for fatter splits for overnight burns. Having a brick house helps me feel better about the bug potential...theres nothing for them to eat.

Right now I have 2 full wheelbarrow loads on the L holder....could probably fit another 2 or 3 more before it gets to the top of the side piece.

Attachments

• splitholder.jpg
    splitholder.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 418
Looks like an excellent solution ... although you might need a 45 degree brace there at the L joint as once it's full there will be quite a bit of pressure pushing on it. And yes, the brick really helps!

I like it...has a visual appeal to it.

Loose the hoop and add to the L bracket...you will have more wood. I use 2 4.5 ft uprights and 10 foot spans for wood...then another 4.5 x 8 ft for a total of snpiy 225 vu ft of storage. It lasts about a month in the extreme cold. Then fire up the tractor and trailer for another few loads back up by the house.

burntime said:
Loose the hoop and add to the L bracket...you will have more wood. I use 2 4.5 ft uprights and 10 foot spans for wood...then another 4.5 x 8 ft for a total of snpiy 225 vu ft of storage. It lasts about a month in the extreme cold. Then fire up the tractor and trailer for another few loads back up by the house.

Thats not a bad idea actually. I could move the hoop to the other side of the door and expand the L.

The other day I made a 40" W x 36" H x 16 " D wood holder from a cut-down pallet and old plywood and put it in the protected "alcove" area of our patio. I put the plywood on 3 sides to protect the window it backs up to. I didn't take a pic 'cuz it's so ugly, but it holds about 4 wheelbarrows of firewood protected from rain - much easier when raining than goin' out to the main piles and moving the tarps. The "crate" sits next to our previous wood storage in that area - a little red wagon (1970's style) that holds about one nite worth of wood for our wood hungry FP.

Peace,
- Sequoia

TreePapa said:
The other day I made a 40" W x 36" H x 16 " D wood holder from a cut-down pallet and old plywood and put it in the protected "alcove" area of our patio. I put the plywood on 3 sides to protect the window it backs up to. I didn't take a pic 'cuz it's so ugly, but it holds about 4 wheelbarrows of firewood protected from rain - much easier when raining than goin' out to the main piles and moving the tarps. The "crate" sits next to our previous wood storage in that area - a little red wagon (1970's style) that holds about one nite worth of wood for our wood hungry FP.

Peace,
- Sequoia

Ugly or not you shoud post a pic! There's nothing pretty about my holder haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.