Pork Picnic Shoulder ....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dix

Minister of Fire
May 27, 2008
Long Island, NY
I lucked into a sale at the market, and bought one.

Never cooked on before. I realize pulled pork is an option.

Maybe something in the slow cooker? Grilling is out for now, to cold, and my BBQ is on the other side of the house, surrounded by snow, and I'm not shoveling it out.

Feel free to toss some recipes at me, I need to be inspired .

I'm not much of a fan of the shoulders but.....

A ham shank, slow baked in the oven + a big pot of 50/50 chunked or diced taters and green beans with a couple large sweet onions, bring to boil & simmer to perfection. Add diced ham and the ham broth. Serve with fresh hot oatmeal bread. Yum, Yum.

I usually smoke them low and slow on the grill. I'd imagine it would work the same in the oven. Plenty of resources on youtube for slow cooking meat. I'd probably put it in the oven uncovered, for at least 3 hours at 325 and check it until it falls apart.
I have a pork shoulder in the freezer that's about 5 pounds. I'll be thawing it out soon and making breakfast sausage out of it. I'll make patties out of some of it and freeze them, the rest I'll cook up and put in small containers for sausage omelets. Best breakfast sausage ever. Sometimes, I have to add a little oil to the pan when I fry it, since there's not enough fat in it.
Last time we were at the grocery, wife said, let's get some breakfast sausage and I said ick, no way, got goetta instead.

Dry rub, in the oven for prolly 10-12 hours at 200-225 then shred and add your fave sauce. Won't be quite the same as a good smoker would do, but will taste pretty good.

Wouldn't recommend the slow cooker, always seems to bring out the worst in something like a shoulder or butt.

Reactions: Jags
We get this good, inexpensive cut a lot. Any good recipe for a roast will do ( add a sweet/tart condiment such as black currant preserves and pretend it's Wild Boar), but the best thing about these cheaper cuts (other than being cheap) is the left over meat after you've cherry picked the roast. Short of Mode a la Paleolithique', remove the remaining meat (just the easy stuff) and trim most of the fat. Cut into half inch dice and freeze in portions or use right away for:

My favorite go to breakfast (a version of Danish pittipana); Dice one small potato, skin on and saute' in a small amt.grape seed oil over med. heat. Add pork dice when taters start to brown, and season to taste. Remove to plate and cover with one or two fried eggs with a little Mrs. Dash's no salt seasoning.

Power's Out Pozole; Look it up, there are many versions. I like the ones with Hominy and Tomatillos.

Prepper's Pie; combine with chicken scraps for a meat and veggie pot pie.

DTB (down to the bone) Beans and rice. You already know how to do this.

All the above are great for the top of the wood stove, and as exiting as the grill.

Reactions: Dune
Dry rub, in the oven for prolly 10-12 hours at 200-225 then shred and add your fave sauce. Won't be quite the same as a good smoker would do, but will taste pretty good.

Wouldn't recommend the slow cooker, always seems to bring out the worst in something like a shoulder or butt.

x2

Double O 7 hit it. Oh - and just like if you were gonna smoke it, let the rub sit overnight if you can. A couple of dashes of smoke flavor will help a little. It ain't the same as a smoker but you can make it work. 225 is a good temp to work with. Expect a minimum of 11 hours.

Reactions: firebroad
Pork should always be smoked.

At least I think so.

Lazy woman's pulled pork:
Take the thing and really brown it in a skillet or dutch oven, high heat, really get it almost blackened on the outside. Then put it in the slow cooker on LOW, as low as it can be. Add your seasonings, sauce, whatever you like--my favorite is a bottle of Stubbs pork marinade with lemongrass, some Wright's liquid smoke, a tablespoon or two of worchestershire sauce. Taste for salt.
Let that puppy simmer away for eight or nine hours then pull it apart. Bake some homemade kaiser rolls. Or you can buy them. I will be up directly with my fork and bib.

Reactions: Adios Pantalones
Being mostly Norwegian, A pork roast is a pretty traditional meal, and a picnic shoulder is a good cheap pork roast. Slice entirely through any skin in a checked pattern about one inch square preferably and roast skin side up. If no skin then fat side up. Cook until at least 180 degrees with carrot onion and celery pieces in the pan, and keep the pan bottom from drying out. Make a gravy from the pan drippings, serve with peeled boiled potatoes, apple sauce and seasonal veggies, preferably a few different ones, for example, cauliflower, green beans and turnip, or what ever you like. You can also make some fancy stuffings for pork roasts.

As mentioned, cold pork sandwiches for days after. The skin when browned and crunchy is called crackle, is good when fresh and enjoyed by most.

nothing fancy here but cooked one last sunday. 250* for 8hours. salt. pepper, rosemary and garlic. I pull the roast out, strip the skin, and crisp up the fat under the broiler. then you've got a great roast pork for $1.09/lb. can't walk past these things at those prices. left over is either a stew or pulled pork for the sangwich. have a day

I paid $.69 for this puppy.

Its getting prepped as I type.

A rub of chili powder, black pepper, cayenne, & a waft of sea salt.

Sitting in the fridge over night.

Tomorrow AM, it's going in the crock pot, not sure yet if its going to be a dry roast or a marinade one.

Will report back.

Making cole slaw, and have fresh pickles. Got me some hoagie rolls, too.

Yee Haw !!

Thanks for the thread. Started reading it yesterday, before grocery shopping.

The pork butt is currently rubbed down on the counter (well, locked safely in the microwave, dog was way too interested), rolls are ready, coleslaw will be made....

May still be winter but we can enjoy a summertime meal!

I am late to this party, but if you ever find yourself wanting pulled pork and don't have the time to do it right (low and slow in the smoker), a pressure cooker is great. In the depths of winter I just can't bring myself to drag out the smoker. A pressure cooker can turn a pork shoulder/butt, liquid smoke, and spices into passable pulled pork in 90 minutes.

Reactions: Dix
poke holes in it insert garlic cloves , rub with any store brand "dry rub or create you own, place in a casserole or a tin roasting pan , tent with tin foil, place in an over at 260 for about 2 hours/lb or until the bone retreats significantly. debone it and shred it mix with sauce of choice (don't overdo the sauce), serve on buns with coleslaw.

Reactions: Dix
We do this whenever we catch one on sale, a great meal. If you cook it slow enough, it is as tender as pork tenderloin.

We used to use the crock pot, but our new one gets too hot on low and it comes out tough. We now use a dutch oven and cook it in the oven.......YUM

The last pork shoulder we had I tried this stew recipe on. I enhanced it a little bit and the final stew came out great.

pork stew.PNG

I know i won't be much help, but I'll tell you what happens at my house anyway.

I go in, sit at the table,,eat whatever she puts on my plate, don't complain.

Status
Not open for further replies.