Portable Bandsaw Mills

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Went to Boonville today and saw some Bandsaw Mills, first picture is a Norwood, the second is Hud-Son 121 and the third is a Wood Mizer.

Zap

Attachments

• 100_1246.jpg
    100_1246.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 381
  • 100_1254.jpg
    100_1254.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 370
  • 100_1261.jpg
    100_1261.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 350
I like the looks of the first one,mabe its just the rails?

smokinjay said:

Yes the Norwood and Wood Mizer rails are heavy duty, the Hud-Son rails will do the job.

zap

zapny said:
smokinjay said:

Yes the Norwood and Wood Mizer rails are heavy duty, the Hud-Son rails will do the job.

zap
Did you pull the trigger on one yet?

smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:

zap

Not yet, we like the Hud-Son and for $900.00 more I want the 328. Plus we will need a arch of some type so I'm looking at spring time.

zap

zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:

zap

Not yet, we like the Hud-Son and for $900.00 more I want the 328. Plus we will need a arch of some type so I'm looking at spring time.

zap

May find some nice discounts in January.

Was that some kind of trade show?? Lots of cool stuff .....

ANeat said:
Was that some kind of trade show?? Lots of cool stuff .....

63rd New York State Woodsmen's Field Days in Boonville, lots of stuff that you would love to have for working in the woods.

zap

That is the 121 the next step up is the 328, they are built better than they look. He had the 121 going when we were watching and it seemed fine.

zap

smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:
Here another look at a band mill that makes it very portable, but 1600.00 bucks and you use your saw power head.
http://www.rip-saw.net/ripsaw.html

Heres another from Norwood, I think it runs $995.00 without the saw.

http://www.norwoodindustries.com/en...od_Industries_portamill_chainsaw_sawmill.aspx

zap

I like the Alaskan better just less to set up. Bandsaw would be sweet for lumber out of a woods.

Never used either but the Norwood would make me feel safer when using.

zap

zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:
Here another look at a band mill that makes it very portable, but 1600.00 bucks and you use your saw power head.
http://www.rip-saw.net/ripsaw.html

Heres another from Norwood, I think it runs $995.00 without the saw.

http://www.norwoodindustries.com/en...od_Industries_portamill_chainsaw_sawmill.aspx

zap

I like the Alaskan better just less to set up. Bandsaw would be sweet for lumber out of a woods.

Never used either but the Norwood would make me feel safer when using.

zap

LOL Just looks that way! The Alaskan really very safe I dont mind even setting with a 880. Mini mill doesnt fill as safe but you get over it quick enough.

Looks like you picked the better day this weekend to go Zap.

SolarAndWood said:
Looks like you picked the better day this weekend to go Zap.

We checked the weather report and decided that we would go on Saturday, some of the better events went off on Sunday, I think.

zap

Sunday events included processing wood on a day with 4.21" of rain and building a levee to protect your stacks.

On the plus side, there is no doubt where the leaks in the roof of the camp are I have to fix. Unfortunately, I think I have a complete reroof ahead of me.

btw, did you see anyone selling splitter wedges?

Nice arch. Makes moving a decent sized log with a relatively small tractor look easy.

Very nice, how long have you had your mill?

zap

One year now. It's actually a 'shared ownership' between a friend of mine and myself. We keep at my place because he doesn't have a house, or land, or trees. :)
Pretty much the perfect person to split a sawmill with haha. I'm hoping to use it for some timberframing projects I want to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.