Portable cement mixers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beetle-Kill

Minister of Fire
Sep 8, 2009
Colorado- near the Divide
I need to pick up a smaller cement mixer. I can get a used "Mutiquip" 3.5 cf mixer with the poly drum for about $300. does anyone have experience with this brand and mixer? I'll probably go through about 100-120 bags this summer, will it hold up? Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance. John

Check the drive belt, bearing slop etc.

If the belt looks original or old and it's still in good shape that's a good sign that it's functioning. If it has ball bearings there should be very little slop when you move the big pulley back and forth, or up and down if you take the belt off. If it has bushings just make sure the wear isn't so bad that the gears don't mesh right or the shaft has worn all the way through the bushings. The big gear on the drum almost never wears out, but you can see if the wear pattern looks even or if the gears aren't meshing right. The small gear can get pretty worn or bent and still function fine, but you want to know what it looks like.

If it's gas then the engine is another matter altogether.

If it runs alright now it will do 100 bags no problem if you grease it up once, keep it clean and check out any new noises.

I've mixed dozens of yards with junk mixers, very few problems considering the things are operating in grit. $300 sounds fair if it's in working condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.