Portable Garage for a Woodshed??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NordicSplitter

Minister of Fire
May 22, 2011
Western,NY
Recently I was going through my Harbor Freight mailer and I came across a Portable Garage for $199. Having a 20% off coupon that makes it $160. The unit is 10' wide by 17' deep. & roughly 6' high.Thinking this would make an easy, do it yourself wood shed. Plus its portable...Anyone ever try this and if so thoughts.....Thanks..:)

Just me mindful that these types of structures are not good with snow loads or high winds.
Thought of those 2 obstacles....Snow-From the looks of them. unless we get 2 feet at once..most should slide off. Wind-Plan on lacing through cinder blocks along the bottom poles as well as using 1 foot pieces of re-bar bent in the shape of a U and anchoring them to the ground. I'm think 1 every 2' should do it...

Also, a couple of seasons and the covering turns brittle, the second year, I tried to slide some snow off it, and it tore....

I had one of these that blew apart into shreds before I got one stick of wood into it. Spend just a little more and build a simple wood shed.

Go to a bankruptcy auction, buy three sections of pallet racking and build a four cord wood shed for $15 plus whatever you want to roof and side it with.

Don't ask how I know this.

Recently I was going through my Harbor Freight mailer and I came across a Portable Garage for $199. Having a 20% off coupon that makes it $160. The unit is 10' wide by 17' deep. & roughly 6' high.Thinking this would make an easy, do it yourself wood shed. Plus its portable...Anyone ever try this and if so thoughts.....Thanks..:)

Running a small business out of here using three of those I lost over a hundred grand of inventory when three of those collapsed in Snomageddon.

I retired.

Just me mindful that these types of structures are not good with snow loads or high winds.

Unless you get a good brand and cough up for the extra structure. That's not gonna be anywhere close to $199.00.

There you have it. Save your money and time and invest into building a simple frame shed. You can use a tarp roof over the rafters until it shreds up and then decide if you want a better material.

Just not worth the work (IMHO) the gauge of the poles, lack of fasteners. Do it right the first time.

This was our first one......didn't hold up well....first the skin went (re-skinned with a Tarp), then the snow did it in.......

Then went to TSC and bought the Shelter Logic for a little bit more $$$. Has held up pretty well, although will need a new skin before next Winter (if one can be had), it's probably 4 years old........

24817dp.jpg
Those shelter logic sheds are pretty darn good quality. We got half dozen of these and some 2" ratchet straps to secure it to the ground

24817dp.jpg
Those shelter logic sheds are pretty darn good quality. We got half dozen of these and some 2" ratchet straps to secure it to the ground
Ours came with Anchors, but was having a tough time with the rocky soil......got 2 in the ground, and use the camper as an anchor. The Shelter Logic is pretty strong, but not happy about the skin wearing so soon......ready to split at the seams

Might be better off with HF larger green house- also acts a solar drying kiln - just a thought.

Reactions: NordicSplitter
My shelter logic from tsc is about three years old.
It's under trees so less UV baking
It did blow away once.
I left the door open.
I was able to gingerly roll it back out of the woods and instead of plastic ties on the anchors I used the wire ones it came with.
So far so good.

Saw a guy in the neighborhood put one up this winter to store his new ride. We got 4' snow in Nov then thaw then a few cycles of heavy wet crap, etc. Then old man winter beating it up for a couple more months and the shed isn't looking too good right now. Not sure if the car is still there or the guy had 2nd thoughts and parked it elsewhere. Saw lots of these units get wrecked. I have a sort of tarp shed on my property made from one of those 2x2 framing connector kits I had laying around for years. @ $35 worth of 2x2x8' - with some scrap bracing and strapping on the top side, and threw the $10 tarp over that - holding up so far but nothing of any real value goes in there, and I don't really care if it gets trashed. Not sure I would drop $200 on one. Contrast with quite a few of the shelter logic units i have seen in peoples' yards around town and those seem to be in pretty good shape.

Ours is in full sun year round, so that's not helping it much.....we do try and keep any heavy snow off it. Right now the seams are starting to show some wear. They make different grades of these with stronger poles, and more of them for support.......IMO, can't beat it for the cost

Status
Not open for further replies.