Portable Hearth Pad

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

onion

Burning Hunk
Nov 3, 2009
Ohio
I've been meaning to do this for a year so I can stop buying rugs. I have a ton (actually about 3 tons) of nearly free porcelain tile. I didn't want a permanent installation in front of the hearth that would require cutting the carpet etc. This is made of 1/2" MDF with 13"x20" tiles which match the entryway in the same room. The trim is outside corner moulding. The tiles are not permanently set and have about 1/8" of play all the way around. It isn't very heavy (maybe 40 lbs). After getting it done I think I made it too small. The front of the hearth is 48" and this is only 40". I just didn't feel like getting the tile saw out. I'll make a bigger one later and use this one to hold an indoor wood rack.

P1070216.png

I was afraid the MDF would flex and the tile crack but it seems to be ok. I'm a very big boy and can stand on it without any cracking.

I assume you only need ember protection for this hearth pad extension . . . I would think that you would still want to lay down some metal or seal the joints with the tile though on the off chance a spark or ember could get between the tile and end up on the MDF.

Status
Not open for further replies.