Portable propane generator

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mepellet

Minister of Fire
Aug 10, 2011
Central ME
Anyone have any experience with portable propane generators? I saw that generac makes one (model lp3250). For the frequency that I would use a generator, I like the idea of using propane instead of gas. Now, I just haven't found if it produces a pure sine wave or not. Any ideas?

My backup propane generator went to lean and seized after third year and only about 20 hours. Winter project to tare down and install new jug etc.

There are aftermarket kits that I know a few people have installed with good luck and I think some allow the gas carb to stay in place for dual fuel.

I've got a Sportsman 2000W propane generator hooked into an IOTA Engineering DLS-27-40 24VDC Battery Charger to keep my battery banks charged. I only use it maybe once or twice a year. It works excellent for my purposes. I'm not sure I would run loads directly off of it not mediated by a battery bank though, unless they were small loads tolerant of possibly dirty current. For best results, I would combine it with a small battery bank, battery charger, solar panel, and a true sine-wave inverter if you plan to run household loads such as motors, compressors, and electronics. The battery bank will absorb large start-up currents from motors and pumps, the inverter will ensure you get clean power, the solar panel will keep the batteries topped up when not in use, and the generator will keep the batteries full while in use. As long as you don't use more than 1350W continuous for longer than the Watt-hour capacity of the battery bank, this little generator will more than keep up and do so more efficiently than a bigger unit. With a large enough battery bank, you can run the batteries for awhile without the generator, and only turn on the generator sporadically as necessary. For a pellet stove, I'd recommend sizing your battery bank to deliver the Watt-hours required to get you through the night based on the consumption of the stove. Then you can charge up before bed and charge again in the morning.

I'd stay away from propane. (I am/was a forklift mechanic my whole life. most run on propane) It does NOT like to start and run below 20 degrees F. Fuel regulators and carbs plug with containments . Most forklift breakdowns have to do with the propane system.

Go with gasoline gen set and buy some AVIATION fuel. 100 octane, shelf life of 2 years, no ethel. I also highly recommend Ave fuel for all premix chain saws and weed whackers.

I'd stay away from propane. (I am/was a forklift mechanic my whole life. most run on propane) It does NOT like to start and run below 20 degrees F. Fuel regulators and carbs plug with containments . Most forklift breakdowns have to do with the propane system.

Go with gasoline gen set and buy some AVIATION fuel. 100 octane, shelf life of 2 years, no ethel. I also highly recommend Ave fuel for all premix chain saws and weed whackers.
I thought it was illegal to sell aviation fuel to the public????

I've started mine on the first pull while it was in the single digits outside. Maybe the size of the tank has some bearing? I'm connected up to a 100 gallon tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.