Portable Wood Pellet Fire Pit ! Check out this Flame Genie

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

Just saw a demo on this!

What do you think? Is it a winner?

Put in 4 hand fulls of pellets, start with starting gel and a lighter
It burns for 25 mins. Add more before the coals die out!
Very little ash falls out of the screen in the bottom!

I love fire pits, I had both mine going last night, but I must say it looks alittle dangerous. Especially w kids around...

Here's the only review I could find:

FilledStar.gif
EmptyStar.gif
EmptyStar.gif
EmptyStar.gif
EmptyStar.gif
- posted on 6/19/2013 9:46:15 AM

Design needs to be changed. 10 lbs of pellets an hour and had to continually feed the pit. When flame is going heat is great. Annoying that pellets burn out way too fast too much trouble always putting pellets in. Concept of no smoke or spark would be great in time to come. Took our pit back for refund.
Take it for what it's worth.....

How much does it cost

Looks basically like a good idea... but looking at it leaves me with a bunch of questions...

First, there's no feeling as to how sturdy/heavy it's built. The feet look like just tack-welded cheap-grade sheet metal. So if you're camping, it IS going to get left out in the rain. It's not a question of 'will it rust' but 'how fast is it going to rust'.

Wonder how long it will run without filling up with ashes to the point it won't burn any more.

And then - how do you clean it out? Turn it over and dump it out?

Start it with gel-napalm? Not at $4 for a bottle of the stuff. I'd start it with my latest discovery - match-light briquettes! Virtually impossible to put out once they're going, will start in damp or drizzle, and you only need three or four to get a fire started. If you're in a hurry, use more!

Neat concept if you live in an area where a normal fire pit isn't possible.

Not for me though. I'll keep my existing fire pit and burn my scraps, uglies and other leftovers from the wood pile.

Hello

It looks better quality in person.

The ash just drops thru the screen in the bottom

Click pic to enlarge

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    318.1 KB · Views: 3,647
Did you buy one Don? That pic of yours doesn't show secondary combustion like the video..?

It looks neat, but cord wood is much cheaper than 10 lbs an hr for a fire.

Although the secondary combustion did look pretty cool. Looking cool and working good are 2 different things.

Neat concept if you live in an area where a normal fire pit isn't possible.

Not for me though. I'll keep my existing fire pit and burn my scraps, uglies and other leftovers from the wood pile.

Not for me either.... I can keep my firepit going just from the drops from my pines..... more or less indefinitely.... I don't burn hard wood in mine... but I've got so many big bull pines in my yard.... the hardwood heats my house.... not the sky

Did you buy one Don? That pic of yours doesn't show secondary combustion like the video..?

It looks neat, but cord wood is much cheaper than 10 lbs an hr for a fire.

Although the secondary combustion did look pretty cool. Looking cool and working good are 2 different things.

I cannot buy one until my supplier gets them in, but I told my regional sales rep to let me know when they come in.

Like Scott said this design is not much more then a large rocket stove. Rummage around a couple garage sales or flea market for a couple old pots and get out a drill.

Reactions: smwilliamson
Like Scott said this design is not much more then a large rocket stove. Rummage around a couple garage sales or flea market for a couple old pots and get out a drill.

I agree but maybe I can sell these too!

Sell them some smoker pellets too!

and you can bring it inside if you lose power to warm your house.....
don't try this..

While rocket stoves look somewhat interesting too, the wikipedia description of a rocket stove differs from this. Where a rocket stove has an insulated chimney, this thing has air ports inside the outer walls resulting in combustion of the wood gasses at the top of the pot. It looks more like a wood gasifier. The wood is being burned at the bottom only enough to cause it to off-gas and the gases are being ignited at the top.
It reminds me a little of a wood gasification biomass boiler which roasts the biomass over a grate system and the heat and gases are captured and burned in the boiler.

I wouldn't buy one. Much rather like my home made pit from
free materials and burning fallen stuff around my property. Even camping
I make a fire ring from rocks and burn what mother nature drops..... :)
Mine:
micheles_firepit.jpg

I wouldn't buy one. Much rather like my home made pit from
free materials and burning fallen stuff around my property. Even camping
I make a fire ring from rocks and burn what mother nature drops..... :)
Mine:

I really like that nice homemade design! Looks so comfy and inviting! You can come help me make one near my workshop anytime!

Status
Not open for further replies.