portage and main bl2840

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

duramaxman05

Minister of Fire
Aug 17, 2014
Perryville, Mo
Well I am on day 2 of running the new boiler. So far I am impressed but it hadnt been real cold yet. Very pleased on wood consumption. Filled it yesterday evening and checked it a 6:30 this morning and it was still 2/3 full. I have a plate heat exchanger for my hot and I am using it as a tankless. All I can say is it some hot a$! Water. Haven't ran out of it so I think this setup works great for those of you wandering about that. I do however have 1 concern about the boiler. I noticed a little water dripping out the ash door. My water level had not changed so I dont the boiler itself is leaking. I think it could be just moisture from the metal and firebrick and wood just draining out. Opinions on that?

Attachments

• 20141102_112651.jpg
    20141102_112651.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 316
If it is black it is creosote, your wood is not dry enough. Are you using a boiler temperature device to keep return water temp above 140?

The wood I am burning is 2yr old split oak and some ash and hickory mixed in. Im not sure what kinda of device you are talking about, but I took my infared thermometer and took the temp of the return line going through the wall 140-145°. So the actual water temp should be quite a bit hotter. The water coming in is around 170-175°. Im not saying that it isnt moisture from the wood. Just curious what you guys thought about it

On previous post, on the outside of the pex tubing,
Supply is 160°
Return is 147°.
No this the temp right where it goes through the foundation on the outside of the pex. Not actual water temp. I suspect the actual water temp to be much hotter

Probably condensation and creosote from "idling" during not heat demand periods. Hopefully it will disappear as the stove runs more when it gets cold.
That substance is not anything you want to have running around in your stove.

I talked to robert at portage and main today. He said its probably moisture from the wood and condensation. Also I think I fill it too full and I think since its not really that cold out, it sits a idle quite a bit. It doesnt get a chance to get hot and burn everything out

I have been running the boiler for almost a week now. I can honestly say I am very happy with. Does an outstanding job heating my house and hot water. Wood consumption is also less than I expected. So far I am very happy with it. Guess I will see how it does in colder weather next week.

Reactions: flyingcow
Glad your liking your P&M! I just installed a P&M ML25 at my house over the summer and have been running for past 2 weeks with very little wood consumption. I have been going through a wheelbarrow full about every 4 days. I have also done some messing around with it. I took some refractory splits I got at rural king and made a baffle system in the trough heat exchanger in the upper part of the boiler. These slow the stream of hot air down and they hold heat for a really long time. I also found that a scoop or 2 of anthracite coal will help extend burnings if you need to be away for an extended period. Just some things to try if your a tinkerer.

I too had the black gook around the door but once it started getting cold I haven't seen it since.

Good luck with your boiler and keep us updated on its performance!

Reactions: duramaxman05
After looking at your picture I had the same thing happen to me on start up. I over filled the wood being the newbie I am. I learned to put just enough in to get me to the next 12 hours. I was filling it ever 36 hours which was way too long in between fill ups. This caused a slow burning fire and creosote build up and consequently the black gook.

Reactions: duramaxman05
You said your domestic hot water was really hot... You have a scald prevention device after your heat exchanger, right?
No I dont have anything after the exchanger. I think im gonna have to install a mixing valve. That should solve that problem. The main I was trying is I wanted to know if the 20 plate exchanger would keep up up with out a tank. Even in the shower and with the washer on at the same time, it still has plenty of hot water

Yeah, that would probably be a good idea.

Have you looked at any of the P&M chip boilers? I've been hearing good things about them.
I have not seen one in person, but I read about them online and watched the videos on them. If I did a lot of tree work that requires a wood chipper, I would have one. The only down fall I think is, there kinda expensive. If its anything like my boiler, it would be a great product.

Just curious to see what settings your running your a419 controller at? I've tried a bunch of different settings and it doesn't make much of a difference. Currently I'm running at 180F, 5 degree differential, and 1 min on anti short cycle delay.

I'm curious if the PM owners make any install mods for an overheat situation?

I added remote temp and level sensors. Someone is usually at home so if and when they hear alarms they know to shut power off to combustion air fan and add make-up water.

All P&M's have a second manual aqua stat for redundancy too.

Just curious to see what settings your running your a419 controller at? I've tried a bunch of different settings and it doesn't make much of a difference. Currently I'm running at 180F, 5 degree differential, and 1 min on anti short cycle delay.
I am running the same settings you are. I would like to know how to raise the temp when the blower kicks on.

I added remote temp and level sensors. Someone is usually at home so if and when they hear alarms they know to shut power off to combustion air fan and add make-up water.

All P&M's have a second manual aqua stat for redundancy too.
I have a temp temp/presssure gauge in the house in the supply line coming in the house. That way I can keep an eye on it without going outside

Status
Not open for further replies.