portage and main question?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
woodsmaster said:
Graham said:
So I will look into a small garage and housing a wood boiler inside with storage possibley. The only draw back wood be insurance approvale and the time to do it and the money. What brands of gassifiers are besides Tarm and Eko. Is there a Canadian distributor for these stoves? what about Minnesota or the Dakotas?

I asked my insurace guy about insuring the boiler shed and he didn't seem to interested so I let it go. I have no insurance
on the boiler or shed. Hope nothing bad ever happens to it. It is a big project to install one of these. It was one that I enjoyed tho.
There are lots of good brands out there. Besides the ones you mentionied there is the Biomass, Econoburn, Vegas, Effecta lambada, varm, and more I can't think of at the moment. I'm very happy with my biomass, but have never run any of the other brands to compair.

My homeowners insurance automatically included coverage for outbuildings up to 10% of the policy amount. Not sure how a boiler would be treated though.

Graham/North,

Here is your raving review for a CB e-classic 2400.

First season with mine, but love it more every day. Very good controls, minimal smoke, incredibly low maintainence and very efficient with wood useage. From what I have read on here they may have had their issues, but the upgrades made with the new series seems to have made all the difference. Quite pricey, but a great investment and very much worth the money in my opinion.

My Garn 1500 (1500 gallons of water) is about 6' high, just under 10' long. All insulated and boxed, it is about 8' wide, 8' high, and 10' long. With the plumbing out the back though, it exceeds 10'.

I have it in a 24x16 shed, so I have a few feet behind it for plumbing, and about 8 feet in front. I keep a cord of wood, maybe a bit more in there.

I'd say NO, won't fit in a 10x10 shed. It might be tough to get anything with storage inside a shed of that size...propane tanks might have to be vertical, etc. Though often tanks are kept in the basement.

Garn has some smaller units, but I don't know anything about them. 2000 is a bit longer.

A 10 x 10 is going to be tough to fit but could be done. there wouldn't be much room behind the boiler on
most models. You would also be limited to either thermal storage or wood storage in the shed or a small
amount of both. I have a 12 x 14 shed 12' tall. In it are 2 - 500 gallon vertical tanks, the boiler, expansion
tank, kindling box and room for 1 - 12 x 8 x 2 stack of fire wood. There isn't much extra room except up
high for shelving.
It's pretty tight and I wouldn't want to go any smaller. I could have did it in a 12 x 12 but
would have very little indoor firewood storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.