Portage and Main

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

coolidge

Hearth Supporter
Dec 16, 2008
Maine
First full month with the Optirmizer 250. Although the last few days have been WARM the week before was chilly with wind chill below zero. I cant believe how much wood i have saved with this thing so far. I did have a blower issue(stopped working) and the company had a local dealer meet me at my house with a replacement that night. Customer service "check". The house is always what the thermostat is set too and wood consumption is half if not a little more than last year,i bet not even 3/4 cord for this year yet. Quite a difference compared to the old Tarm. Cant wait to see what the thing can do when it gets cold out.

Glad to hear the happy tidings.

Your post made me go back to take a look at the Portage and Main website (saw their outdoor unit in person at the NE Forest Expo and was very impressed with design and build quality) and I see that they now offer an indoor gasifier-- and it appears to use a suction blower rather than a pressurized firebox-- looks like a potentially promising unit:

See "Economizer IDM 150" towards lower part of page:

http://www.portageandmainboilers.com/gasification.html

That Scotch Marine boiler design sure looks like a winner. That is one OWB I wouldn't mind having, Randy

What impressed me the most about the P&M I saw at the Forest Expo was the extent to which it was designed to be quick and easy to clean the firetubes. If their indoor model shares that attribute, that's a major plus.

Nothing on the TV so I had a look on their site. The FAQ was interesting.

They give numbers based on a 65% efficiency but do not state which system that applies to, seems high for the non gasser and low for the gassers.

I would like to see the big non gasser in action. Looks like the firebox would take half a cord. But at its maximum output would last 8 hours or so. I wonder how long it would take to fill it up.

I liked the looks of the non gasser also , but i needed the gasser for the white tag. I though i read somewhere that the gasser was rated at 92% effecient, will check into that again.I did the first cleaning of the fire tubes yesterday morning, it took maybe a half hour.The company reccommends the exhuast temp to be around 250 degrees which resulted in removing two turbulators. There are a few minor things that annoy me but very easily fixed to my liking when summer arrives. Next will be the sidearm if anyone has a good site for those.

I saw one of these at the MN State Fair last year. It was up and running and was very impressive. The workmanship and quality appeared to be A-1. The only thing I wasn't impressed with was the price, which I think was in the $10,000 to $10,500 range. For not that much more a Garn could be had that has is own storage.
Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.