Porting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ampamp

Oct 31, 2010
Buffalo - Rochester
So I hear alot about porting saws. Does it hurt the life of the saw. Is it mainly use for competition? Would someone benefit porting a firewood saw? I'm guessing the saw is taking in more air or exhausting more to make the saw run better?

finalLEE said:
Save your money , buy a bigger saw, muff mod and air filter if you want more power and call it good.

I generally agree.... but...... that wasn't quite good enough for me (saw junky, I can't help it).

Porting usually involves opening the cylinder intake, exhaust and piston ports. Sometimes the base gasket is removed or the squish band cut. Ported saws are about getting more fuel and more compression.

I suppose it may reduce the life of the saw (higher rpm's), but with proper fuel, mix and tune, I don't think it's a real issue.

My theory with first hand experience is ,,, if you have the money to throw away or like to tinker or compete ,, go for it.
If you're a homeowner trying to save money cutting firewood or you're a logger trying to make $ with a saw ,,, stay away from mods other than the basics.
If a 066 mag can't get it done for a woodcutter ,,, nothing can.

finalLEE said:
My theory with first hand experience is ,,, if you have the money to throw away or like to tinker or compete ,, go for it.
If you're a homeowner trying to save money cutting firewood or you're a logger trying to make $ with a saw ,,, stay away from mods other than the basics.
If a 066 mag can't get it done for a woodcutter ,,, nothing can.
I think you'll find most people will dissagree with you. I have found modded saws to start easier, run better and will still outlast me. Not all modded saws are created equal and sure its possible to a bad egg but for the most part Modded does improve the product. Most of my saws are modded and not one has ever let me down. Go with a proven builder like Dan Henry, Ed Hurd, Eric Copsey ect and you'll have a really nice experience with your saw.

Since we like to take sides on this forum, I'm with lee on this, maybe a muffler and air filter like he said and be done with it.

oldspark said:
Since we like to take sides on this forum, I'm with lee on this, maybe a muffler and air filter like he said and be done with it.

Yep, I am gonna have to side with Lee. Why would a factory (like Stihl) NOT take advantage of HP generated by modding a saw? It could be built right into the production line. There HAS to be a reason and the most likely is reliability/lifespan/usability.

I have always gone with the adage of high performance = high maintenance. There are quite simply more stresses involved with a machine that is tweaked to the edge. Racers take this as part of the game.

Jags said:
Why would a factory (like Stihl) NOT take advantage of HP generated by modding a saw? It could be built right into the production line. There HAS to be a reason and the most likely is reliability/lifespan/usability.

They could get a LOT more power out of these factory saws, mainly by porting them at the factory. The reason they do not do it is because they would not pass the tight emissions regulations (both noise and carbon). They kill the HP of a chainsaw right at the factory, and that is a fact. The only time I ever port out a saw is when I have it apart for an overhaul or other repair. While it is apart, it is really easy to port one out. So I do it because it's free power, and the saw is already taken apart for repairs, why not?

Scotty Overkill said:
They could get a LOT more power out of these factory saws, mainly by porting them at the factory. The reason they do not do it is because they would not pass the tight emissions regulations.

Good counter. I had not thought of it from that angle.

oldspark said:

Agreed. While I'm sure my 288XPW could be improved,with the dual port muffler/high performance air filter on it & 13000 it revs now,its certainly no slouch.

Jags said:
oldspark said:

Yep, I am gonna have to side with Lee. Why would a factory (like Stihl) NOT take advantage of HP generated by modding a saw? It could be built right into the production line. There HAS to be a reason and the most likely is reliability/lifespan/usability.

I have always gone with the adage of high performance = high maintenance. There are quite simply more stresses involved with a machine that is tweaked to the edge. Racers take this as part of the game.
You guys ought to be able to figure it out. EPA!!! Solo can't sell that hot rod 681 here anymore for one reason EPA! They sold a saw already modded and ran as such but can't satify the EPA anymore. Dolmar's 7900 is suffering the same fate. Another reason is these saws are operated by JoBlow who half the time can't remember to put oil in the gas let alone realize 87 octane ain't going to get it. Another thing is woodsporting, although can really improve a saws performance isn't really a race saw. Its just eeking out what the mfg left on the table. Remember they are mass producing something for profit and making it so the average guy can use it. Average Jo probably couldn't pull the rope hard enough to start a 210lb compression saw. Doesn't mean it can't be done without reliability just means they have to sell something most people can operate. I could beat my head on a table over here on this but over on AS or Chainsawrepair they get it. Most people who own a modded saw understand and would never go back just like you guys would never go back to a pre EPA wood stove. Here is a link to a Dozerdan PP346. I have the same saw.
http://chainsawrepair.createaforum.com/ported-saws/pp-346-45cc-38-ripping/
As far as I know all of his Power Ported saws are running fine and have been for years. Mine is at least 6yrs old and has never missed a beat. It is 40% over stock.

Jags said:
Scotty Overkill said:
They could get a LOT more power out of these factory saws, mainly by porting them at the factory. The reason they do not do it is because they would not pass the tight emissions regulations.

Good counter. I had not thought of it from that angle.
Jags, in all honesty that is what it comes down to, emissions. These modern saws, especially, are really hampered down by emissions. But as for porting, if you are a frequent user/home mechanic it does make a lot more power, when you do it properly and know how to tune your saw. I liken it to the "if you want more horsepower, get a bigger truck with a bigger engine" argument. I don't necessarily want a bigger saw, but I would like more power out of a smaller package, that's where porting fits into my saws. I build and repair my own saws, and I do a little on the side for people in my area. But for me, personally, I only port my saws when I have them torn down for overhaul or repair. For the average homeowner/occasional saw user, it really wouldn't be cost-effective or even really needed. As for racing saws, I have no interest in that. And for those that do have an interest in that, to each his own. I have nothing against it.

Well poting a 2 stroke usually gets you some trade offs, to what extent are they being ported.

oldspark said:
Well poting a 2 stroke usually gets you some trade offs, to what extent are they being ported.
Can't say to what extent. Its like I've said. There are guys, I've given names, who are noted for there work and have found a formula for certain saws that works and works well. Ceretain saws respond better than others. The 346 is noted for being one that takes well to it as is the 357. Some saws don't seem to have much more to give and some saws run worse after porting. That why I let those that have played with it for years and have come up with what saws have the most left on the plate to do the work. Non of this is real secret. I talked to a guy last night about the mapping of proven work. He said there have been guys try to reverse engineer a cylinder and never get it right. I don't have the time or the money to experiment so I just buy from the pros and go with proven port work that has at least 25% gain with a saw that still runs good. All mine run way better than stock, are not tempermental and have held up just fine.

wkpoor-that makes perfect sense to me-I use to race moto cross and I know that its easy to screw up a porting job on a 2 stroke, I guess if I had some one who I could trust I might make my 045 into a hot rod. For now I will settle just for keeping the chain good and sharp.

To the OP ... run a ported saw ,then a stock saw . Then make Your choice . Personally , I'd go ported .
btw I've not heard of a ported saw dieing from being modded . There are plenty that die from causes other ten that . Maybe some one can post their experience to the contrary .

I 've never run a ported saw, but I have ridden a friend's ported 250 dirtbike. It was a ROCKET compared to my bone stock 250. I'm not sure how it held up over time, but it sure was fun.

I'm not sure I would take a grinder to a perfectly good saw, but if I had it apart I would consider it.

A lot of good points made here on both sides of the argument.

oldspark said:
its easy to screw up a porting job on a 2 stroke, I guess if I had some one who I could trust I might make my 045 into a hot rod
now THAT'S my kind of old school, spark.......if that saw ever needs torn down, send me the top end (muffler, intake, cylinder and piston) and we'll sqeak some more power out of it! ;-P

Sounds good Scotty, damn thing never breaks down though, I had to have crank seals put in about 10 years ago but if it has a problem I will keep you in mind.

oldspark said:
Sounds good Scotty, damn thing never breaks down though, I had to have crank seals put in about 10 years ago but if it has a problem I will keep you in mind.
that's why I love the oldies.....they are hard to kill!! If she ever needs some TLC you know where to find me...

[quoteI’m not sure I would take a grinder to a perfectly good saw, but if I had it apart I would consider it.

][/quote]
I can tell probably more saws are done from new than otherwise. Because to most of the guys I cut with they aren't perfectly good till they are ported. Like I keep saying over and over. Run one and you'll understand. That little 346 in the vid is an absolute screamer and puts the word fun in cutting firewood. Soon after I got mine I had a near perfect round 11" cherry on the pile. I did timed tests to see what it could do. Consistently it would slice em off in 4secs. I doubt many stock saws with twice the cubes could match that. In soft wood 10" cants I'll cut that number in half.

I dare say that anyone who cares enough for their saw to get it ported keeps up on the maint far better than the average Joe, hence reliability is gonna be pretty good. Outside of dirt ingestion/straight gassing, most stock saws die from overheating due to NEVER seeing a good cleaning!

MasterMech said:
I dare say that anyone who cares enough for their saw to get it ported keeps up on the maint far better than the average Joe, hence reliability is gonna be pretty good. Outside of dirt ingestion/straight gassing, most stock saws die from overheating due to NEVER seeing a good cleaning!
+1, +2, +3

For crying out loud, now you guys have me wanting to time a cut, first its the MM, one night I weighed one of my splits and now I want to time my cuts. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.