Porting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
HittinSteel said:
smokinjay said:
HittinSteel said:
mecreature said:
smokinjay said:
HittinSteel" date="1330735373 said:
mecreature" date="1330734468 said:
wkpoor" date="1330734010 said:
Well I guess its like anything in life. I've been to GTGs with loggers that wouldn't run anything but a modded saw and then there is someone who says the opposite. I try to go with what most people are saying just like what most people on this site have said about EPA stoves. I try to take from experiences also like the time I first found out about square chain. Armed with that knowledge and having seen it for myself I was telling a dealer one day about it. Mind you a dealer now. No way was I going to convince him there was such a thing let alone it could make your saw cut faster. Some time later he apologized and admitted it does exist. But the point was until he went and checked for himself I was a dump a**. So when the boys show up on June 2nd I'll make sure I take polls on the subjects talked about here. That way any ideas expressed here won't just be my opinion. AT lunch I'll play 20 questions to the group and porting, fuel, right saw for the job, ect ect.

I have been reading over at Arborist. They sure do have an enthusiastic modded saw group there.
How much would I have to pay to get a 346XP maxed out by one of the Doctors. Just curious.

You don't want to hangout with those hoodlums hahaha

Seems like the going price is about $250 for a woods port. Honestly though, as has been said, a muffler mod and a sharp chin is good enough....... but then again, I'll be grinning ear to ear running the ported 372 this weekend.

250.00+ 500.00 or so for the saw. Thats a 750.00 for 50cc saw. Oh and I laugh all day long myself! :lol: Still wonder what that magium sticker is all about?

just taking a peek at the dark side HittinSteel.

I guess the best deal would be a good used saw and port that thing.

I can see the fun in it. Its the whats next thats the killer.

Yes I have under $500 in my ported 372.......

Now your talking, thats my kinda of saw!

It's not the prettiest, but it will last a long time....just got new seals, carb kit and a new piston.

I am with you nothing pretty just all work. Unless its for sale then she stays pretty! :cheese:

Its amazing how distorted things can get. I would say the performance group (as I'll call it) have far less in their saws then most people do running stock. The most I've ever paid is 400.00 and that was my 346xp. I have tried to educate folks that there are good saws for sale all the time on AS and a host of other sites that are all about chainsaws. Sure its about timing and patience. I just bought a ported 357xp for a 1/3 the price of new stock. I don't buy saws from the store. I get them from reputable people I know from word of mouth. Sure I know plenty that ported new saws just like I know plenty that don't.
As for AS being gunho for ported saws....well how is that any different than people here being gunho for EPA all flowered up and covered with stone stoves. Its high performance wood burning.

wkpoor said:
Its amazing how distorted things can get. I would say the performance group (as I'll call it) have far less in their saws then most people do running stock. The most I've ever paid is 400.00 and that was my 346xp. I have tried to educate folks that there are good saws for sale all the time on AS and a host of other sites that are all about chainsaws. Sure its about timing and patience. I just bought a ported 357xp for a 1/3 the price of new stock. I don't buy saws from the store. I get them from reputable people I know from word of mouth. Sure I know plenty that ported new saws just like I know plenty that don't.
As for AS being gunho for ported saws....well how is that any different than people here being gunho for EPA all flowered up and covered with stone stoves. Its high performance wood burning.

I like to give the non-ported people just as much respect as the ported guy. Big deal is keeping the spitter going anything over that is just FUN! :cheese:

wkpoor said:
The difference is a non or EPA stove isn't gonna kill someone.
You're hyping high performance, high horse power saws on a mostly newbie saw using/wood burning crowd as a resonably priced alternative. I doubt in the end it is factoring in emergency room bills.
The difference in weight between a 346 and 372 is 2.5 lbs. Big whoop! I don't need more HP and less weight with a saw that kicks like a Columbian pack mule cranked up on his own freight!
If you wanna party in your back yard droppin a hopped up saw on logs makin cookies so be it. Don't make it sound like the end all to a bunch of newbies with little saw handling experience in real world , wood under pressure, wood cutting circumstances.
I've been felling for 28 years and never felt the need to port a saw.

finalLEE said:
wkpoor said:
The difference is a non or EPA stove isn't gonna kill someone.
You're hyping high performance, high horse power saws on a mostly newbie saw using/wood burning crowd as a resonably priced alternative. I doubt in the end it is factoring in emergency room bills.
The difference in weight between a 346 and 372 is 2.5 lbs. Big whoop! I don't need more HP and less weight with a saw that kicks like a Columbian pack mule cranked up on his own freight!
If you wanna party in your back yard droppin a hopped up saw on logs makin cookies so be it. Don't make it sound like the end all to a bunch of newbies with little saw handling experience in real world , wood under pressure, wood cutting circumstances.
I've been felling for 28 years and never felt the need to port a saw.

Well Said

I'm think I'll post the above quote over on AS and see what the response is. Then I'll quote back here on it. AS is where most of the pros are hanging out,not here. I'll get their view on this. Think I already know though. First GTG I went to was hosted by a logger. He only run ported saws.

Its kinda like buying a car an putting hiperformance stuff on it. Noting wrong with the car originally it does what it was intended to do. There is always a group that cant leave well enough alone (like me). A guy at work says porting is BS. Either way it does the job. Just all in what you like. The guy i was speaking of talks down about it yet he runs his xp with no baffle in muffler. Kinda childish to have a feelings hurt argument over something that silly like has happened at work.

Well like scotty said a couple of pages ago, if you have to rebuild the jug its not too bad an idea to do a little hop up work, but to take a good saw apart to give it some more power seems like a waste of money, just buy the right size saw for your needs, its just not that imPORTant.

I think for the most part, porting is a "Tim the tool man" ego thing. If you have the time fine, but for the average "I cut 10 cords of wood" guy it's not worth the effort.

wkpoor said:
I'm think I'll post the above quote over on AS and see what the response is. Then I'll quote back here on it. AS is where most of the pros are hanging out,not here. I'll get their view on this. Think I already know though. First GTG I went to was hosted by a logger. He only run ported saws.

This is not As, thats where you get confused....I dont drink the green AS kool-aid! :lol:

smokinjay said:
wkpoor said:

This is not As, thats where you get confused....I dont drink the green AS kool-aid! :lol:

I agree Jay....two different places. Here, people seem to want the cheapest way to get wood in to their expensive stoves. On AS, people want the fastest expensive way to get wood to their cheap stoves hahaha

I like both places....... and I sure smiled when I cut and noodled a 40" oak over the weekend with the ported 372. It will heat my house for a few weeks next winter.

HittinSteel said:
smokinjay said:
wkpoor said:

I agree Jay....two different places. Here, people seem to want the cheapest way to get wood in to their expensive stoves. On AS, people want the fastest expensive way to get wood to their cheap stoves hahaha

I like both places....... and I sure smiled when I cut and noodled a 40" oak over the weekend with the ported 372. It will heat my house for a few weeks next winter.

Yea I have both in saws and furance/stoves. There is no need for a 4 cord epa stove guy to even need a mack daddy saw. Seems pretty smart to me. On the other side I can load up a monster furnace and run 12 cords in a season. I find myself looking for the middle ground and I like A.S. as well but will not be a walking bill board! :lol: Oh should I post this over there and see what they say? :lol: :lol: :lol: :cheese:

I see both side.
Ported Wildthings all over the place.

Guess its Not much different the when I was a kid, putting that big hog 4bbl carb and headers on my 1970 350 Montecarlo.
Sure its no vet but it did give it a boost @ WOT..... LOL

what is the going price to port a Poulan Pro 4218AV

mecreature said:
I see both side.

Guess its Not much different the when I was a kid, putting that big hog 4bbl carb and headers on my 1970 350 Montecarlo.

LOL, yea you are the guy with the mac daddy stove and a cheap saw. Did you stay warm this winter? Oh and about a 100.00 bucks got one it the shop...... ;-)

smokinjay said:
mecreature said:
I see both side.

LOL, yea you are the guy with the mac daddy stove and a cheap saw. Did you stay warm this winter? Oh and about a 100.00 bucks got one it the shop...... ;-)

LOL

I am about out of wood. I got that 280 back No Charge. But had to take it back the choke was sticking.

runs good.

port that thing and I will be running with the 440 crowd. :zip:

mecreature said:
smokinjay said:
mecreature said:
I see both side.

LOL

I am about out of wood. I got that 280 back No Charge. But had to take it back the choke was sticking.

runs good.

port that thing and I will be running with the 440 crowd. :zip:

lol, Your on the right track.......Butt 440 are nice keep watching the craglist. ;-)

smokinjay said:
HittinSteel said:
smokinjay said:
wkpoor said:

Yea I have both in saws and furance/stoves. There is no need for a 4 cord epa stove guy to even need a mack daddy saw. Seems pretty smart to me. On the other side I can load up a monster furnace and run 12 cords in a season. I find myself looking for the middle ground and I like A.S. as well but will not be a walking bill board! :lol: Oh should I post this over there and see what they say? :lol: :lol: :lol: :cheese:
Like I said before this is a side show to the main attraction. Good place to talk about our other interests but Chainsawrepair and AS, racesaws and the such put saws on center stage. Way more info over there than on here. This is a good place to start if your already here talking stoves but I don't give it the credit for being the end all on saw talk.

wkpoor said:
smokinjay said:
HittinSteel said:
smokinjay said:
wkpoor said:

Like I said before this is a side show to the main attraction. Good place to talk about our other interests but Chainsawrepair and AS, racesaws and the such put saws on center stage. Way more info over there than on here. This is a good place to start if your already here talking stoves but I don't give it the credit for being the end all on saw talk.

I think the cool thing about this whole conversation is you can feed it what you want.
It doesn't have to be a high dollar thing. There are people having fun building and "Hot Rodding" all kinds of saws.
The swap shop environment they have there is pretty cool.

wkpoor said:
smokinjay said:
HittinSteel said:
smokinjay said:
wkpoor said:

Was never intented to be anything from myself other than showing a ported saw is not need. Other than that all the hooplala on a good ported saw is around 15 percent(good chain skills makes that up). That 15 percent of a ported saw does not in anyway make it a better prodution saw in the short or long term. I drink no kool-aid what so every just is what it is. Nor am I a fan of anyone saw brand. Run what you brung and get the wood out. ;-) I would like to see an open class any saw can be used. 4oz of fuel only and see who cuts the most. Then you will start to see what saws a true production saws, Or woods saws however you choice to look at it.

Was never intented to be anything from myself other than showing a ported saw is not need. Other than that all the hooplala on a good ported saw is around 15 percent(good chain skills makes that up). That 15 percent of a ported saw does not in anyway make it a better prodution saw in the short or long term.
Not sure I know what you mean there. Unless I read you wrong I would not port a saw that couldn't see at least 25% gain and be reliable. My 346 is 40% and has run perfect for the last 5yrs. The smaller saws seem to have the most to gain and IMO can be run safely. A ported 346 IMO is way safer than a stock Solo 681.

wkpoor said:
Was never intented to be anything from myself other than showing a ported saw is not need. Other than that all the hooplala on a good ported saw is around 15 percent(good chain skills makes that up). That 15 percent of a ported saw does not in anyway make it a better prodution saw in the short or long term.
Not sure I know what you mean there. Unless I read you wrong I would not port a saw that couldn't see at least 25% gain and be reliable. My 346 is 40% and has run perfect for the last 5yrs. The smaller saws seem to have the most to gain and IMO can be run safely. A ported 346 IMO is way safer than a stock Solo 681.

40 percent is a very large number! So your 50cc saw is smacking 5.18 horse power Really? Heck thats a stock 372...lol Too funny and way to much of the kool aid!

So that should be able to pull a 28 inch bar in 40 inch hardwood....... :lol: With a rooster tail!

I guess the bottom line here guys is the fact that we all have different opinions, all with the same outcome.......to cut some firewood. I enjoy tinkering with my old saws, others may think thats nuts but the bottom line is me and my cutting partner cut and split over 30 cord of firewood last year, not counting the 20-some pine trees I bucked and gave away, he has a new Stihl MS290, my primary saw is a slightly modded Stihl 041AV Super...custom muffler that I built, match-ported and tuned in my modest shop, all for the price of NOTHING.....I had it apart for new rings and a hone, I thought "why not?" Both saws did the jobs we required them to do, and we got the job done. I have ported and modded several saws, but not a brand-new one. Only when I have them apart for an overhaul. BUT, that said I have another 041AV Super that is basically stock and I enjoy getting it out now and then for a cutting day. I have ran the new saws and I like the way they run, but I hate plastic parts. And I am not busting on anybody for running them, at the end of the day we both cut some wood and got the job done. But I do agree that newbies who have not run saws to the extent that others of us HAVE run them, shouldn't be told to go out and buy a ported/tuned saw right out of the gate. Nothing wrong with a stock saw, especially for an inexperienced cutter.

Scotty Overkill said:
I guess the bottom line here guys is the fact that we all have different opinions, all with the same outcome.......to cut some firewood. But I do agree that newbies who have not run saws to the extent that others of us HAVE run them, shouldn't be told to go out and buy a ported/tuned saw right out of the gate. Nothing wrong with a stock saw, especially for an inexperienced cutter.

Exactly.You need to learn how to walk before you can run a marathon.

Thistle said:
Scotty Overkill said:
I guess the bottom line here guys is the fact that we all have different opinions, all with the same outcome.......to cut some firewood. But I do agree that newbies who have not run saws to the extent that others of us HAVE run them, shouldn't be told to go out and buy a ported/tuned saw right out of the gate. Nothing wrong with a stock saw, especially for an inexperienced cutter.

Wonder if we port a 120cc saw could we get 40 percent more or say that would be more like a 170cc saw..... ;-) Pump gas of course.

smokinjay said:
Thistle said:
Scotty Overkill said:

Wonder if we port a 120cc saw could we get 40 percent more or say that would be more like a 170cc saw..... ;-) Pump gas of course.
may have to use a racing snowmobile electric starter for getting it going, eh Jay?...... :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.